cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
OliverJ
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

X3 Elite desk dock fails when connected with DP->DVI adapter

HP Recommended
Elite X3
Other

I am trying to connect my desk dock to a screen using a DisplayPort->DVI adapter.  When I put the phone in the dock, the phone goes into a loop where it freezes for a few seconds (anywhere from 3 to 10) then works a few seconds until it eventually gives up with a USB error 43.  When frozen, nothing appears to work (I observe the loop by continously trying to adjust volume and seeing if the volume control appears on screen).

The phone only freezes if the dock is connected to a screen.

Connecting the screen with the phone already in the dock also starts the freeze loop.

I have tried multiple cables, adapters and monitors.  I have not tried connecting directly to a screen with DisplayPort as I do not have a screen with this capability.

Keyboard connected to dock via USB works (at least when not connected to screen).

The phone OS is up to date (no insider/beta updates)

Is there anything I can try to fix this?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
griff42
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you using an older monitor?

0 Kudos
OliverJ
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One of them is ~2, the other 4-5 years old.

I did try some more things;

-I bought a USB type-C to VGA adapter.  I could not get this to work from the dock (I assume this is supposed to work), but could eventually get it to work connected to the phone itself (at first the phone presented a usb error 10 when I plugged in the adapter, but it worked after a reboot).  When connected to the dock I got an error about some problem with DisplayPort (I can't remember the exact wording)

-I found a monitor with DisplayPort input.  The dock worked fine, but if I let the phone display time out (turn off) I occassionally have to reboot to get the external screen back.

0 Kudos
griff42
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you try a monitor that does'nt require an adaptor?  

0 Kudos
OliverJ
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did try that later and it did work.

Right now I just want to find out if the phone and/or dock is really picky about these things or if I have a defective unit.  I'm kind of hoping it's the latter because I bought the phone because of its promises of mobility, and while I am fine with dragging along various adapters to connect to whatever screen is available, having to drag along a screen to ensure DP input is more problematic 🙂

0 Kudos
GUIMEN
2 2 0 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here with mine...

If I have a DP to VGA from HP it should work!

I worked one day only.. after that the looping blank screen happens...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation