cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

hp stream 8 usb not detecting any device

HP Recommended

hi, my stream 8 suddenly stopped detecting usb devices either flash or even mouse & keyboard. i have tried ressetting, uninstalling the usb root hub yet nothing fixed the issue. in my device manager theres only two devices showing is it correct or it should list more? hoping someone can provide some solution to this problem. Tablet is only roughly 3 months old...Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,544 3,408 221 571
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @johnsawan79,

Welcome to the HP forums.

I understand your Stream 8 tablets USB port is not working.

When you say you attempted resetting do you mean you turned the tablet off and on, or that you performed a factory reset from the recovery options?

You can also try reinstalling the chipset and updating the BIOS. You can find the downloads for these here: Software and driver results for: HP Stream 8 Tablet - 5901. Without knowing the exact model these might not be the correct drivers, but from what I can see they appear to apply to all Stream 8 tablets. If you are not using the Stream 8 - 5901 please let me know and I can provide the correct link.

Thanks.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the feedback, my tablet model is HP Stream 8 5900nx, & as for your question I did the factory reset...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
11,939 11,740 1,233 3,643
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

johnsawan79 wrote:

"in my device manager theres only two devices showing is it correct or it should list more?"

Yes it is correct. The Host Controller and the USB Root Hub is what is showing in my Stream 8 also.

To add to what Deku Tree asked, are you using an "OTG" cable for the USB connection and have you confirmed that it has not failed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I did all the updates for firmware, bios, even reinstalling the driver pack but still not detecting any usb. I have a OTG/USB flash drive, as well as OTG cable, none of the two works with my tablet. Any other solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,544 3,408 221 571
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Keep in mind OTG is not necessary for a Windows tablet. They run Windows which are capable of running as a host unlike Android devices that cannot. Hence why Android devices require an OTG adapter to act as a host for peripherals. OTG has pins 4 and 5 jumpered on the micro-USB end. Windows only requires a standard pass-through USB adapter.

With that said however, Windows should automatically act as the host overriding the OTG cable allowing it to work as a basic USB adapter. I cannot confirm with 100% certainty that it will work, but theoretically it should. It would be best to use a non-OTG USB adapter for these devices.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The thing is that it used to work fine, I was able to hook up OTG flash drive, or even standard usb devices via the OTG cable like USB drives, mouse keyboard etc... then it just suddenly stopped....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ya and it gets confusing with all the info on the net which one to use.

Today I tried an OTG cable over my regular adapter just to see if it worked on the Stream 8 and it does for a mouse and pen drive. But like Deku pointed out, probably not wise to keep using it.

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Although I will say - there are a lot of vids out there where people are using OTG cables on the HP  Stream.

So whether it will officially harm or not is rather grey to me.

IVSO Micro USB Host OTG Cable for HP Stream 7 Tablet (Black): Amazon.co.uk:

▶ HP Stream 7 with a 3 Port OTG USB HUB & SD Card to Add More Storage - YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,544 3,408 221 571
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You might want to try a system restore if it worked previously. It could be a Windows update or driver update, or even a third party program or service running that is blocking the communication. 

You should be able to restore by turning off the tablet and turning it back on by holding the volume down and power buttons at the same time. This should get you into the recovery options. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced > System Restore, and try restoring to a date when it worked. If you have trouble getting into the system restore with the recovery boot method, you can launch it from within Windows by searching for Recovery on the start screen,  clicking on the Recovery result, and then selecting Open System Restore.

Let me know if that works.

Edit: Overlooked that you previously mentioned you have done a factory reset. Next step would be to reach out to our phone support team if a normal pass-through USB adapter doesn't work. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the following link to get the support number for your region: Phone Assist Worldwide.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation