Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having this recurring issue since purchasing my Spectre x360 just a couple months ago:  I use Windows Hello to set up my PIN and fingerprint.  I shutdown my computer.  I logon using my fingerprint, and it works great.  I do this maybe one or two more times without any issues.  Then, the next time, it says that my fingerprint is not recognized and that I must use my PIN.  I continue to experience this problem until I go back into Windows Hello and remove and re-add my fingerprint.  Then, same thing.  I can logon using with my fingerprint without issues the next couple times, but then after the third time or so, my fingerprint is no longer recognized.  I contacted HP Support in October and the tech updated my BIOS driver.  After that, same thing.  The fingerprint scanner worked for about a day, and then it no longer recognized my fingerprint.  I have contacted HP Support again and they are telling me that I must either do a factory reset or send my computer back for repair or replacement.  Neither of these options appeals to me, so I'm checking to see if anyone else out there has experienced this issue and found a solution?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DCgal 

Personal Observation

Fingerprint sensors are usually very stable, they do not often physically break, in other words. 

Physical failure can happen, of course, it is just not as common as having Windows stomp all over the setup.

There are likely a couple of things going on, neither of which have anything to do with the hardware.

What does break, can break, and has likely broken is the relationship between the fingerprint data (Windows) and the ability of Windows to manage, save, and use the fingerprint data.

This issue can be the result of an old driver (subject likely already covered by HP Support),

and / or

This behavior can also be the result of

Windows Updates,

Windows migrating to a new version (and drivers fail / become outdated),

Errors or oddities in the File System.

So, you need to decide what you are willing to do.

You've updated the drivers and the BIOS.

You've tried ignoring it.

You've tried repeatedly resetting the Sign-in options,

And maybe you've tried other things, too...

What else?

It might be that you have "hard to recognize" finger prints.

If you have not tried done so, if you hands are very dry, use a bit of hand lotion on your finger tip to create a better "raised" print.

If / when you get to the point where you need the system fixed:

Try / Consider

Call HP Support and arrange to have the system sent for repair

OR

Use the instructions you were given to reset / reload the Operating System

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, Dragon.  I agree that this issue is not with the hardware, which is why I was frustrated when HP tech support asked that I send my computer back to have the fingerprint scanner repaired.  There obviously is something going on with Windows.  The other thing I've noticed is that after I install any Windows updates, fingerprint logon starts to work again, but only temporarily.  After the third time or so, my fingerprint no longer is recognized.  While I do sometimes have issues with cold fingers that fingerprint scanners cannot read (this happens occasionally when I try to unlock my Android phone), that is not the problem that I'm describing here.  If anyone has any other suggestions short of sending my computer back to HP or doing a factory reset, I'd appreciate hearing them.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@DCgal 

You are welcome.

If you are correct, and Windows is corrupted and / or unable to fully update (and stay that way), the path forward may include reloading the OS.

Regardless of what you decide to do...

If you have not done so, be sure you are backing up your personal data to other than the local computer.  You'll need to back up anything you do not wish to lose, of course.  You do not generally want or need to back up your "AppsData" folder.

File History can be used to make backups.

Add the folders you want to include to "Libraries".

Example 

Microsoft - Backup and Restore in Windows 10 

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks again.  After my last post I became obsessed with finding a better solution.  After literally reading everything on the Internet and Windows Hello fingerprint scanner issues, I found a solution on Reddit that so far has worked for me.  Under the "power management" tab of the properties for the relevant biometric driver, there is an option to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."  The box for this option was checked, so I unchecked it.  For good measure, I also went ahead and removed and re-added my Windows Hello PIN and fingerprints.  Then, I followed another person's advice and shutdown my computer and logged back on using my Microsoft account password.  I then shutdown again and logged back on with my fingerprint.  So far this has worked!  I am hopeful that the solution sticks. 

HP Recommended

@DCgal 

Yes, that's likely gong to help or completely resolve the issue.

I've had these switched on for so long, I'd forgotten about it.

Silly Dragon.

Good Job - persistence pays!

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.