Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8560p
Linux

I got this laptop from my grandmother. It has an i5-2540m 4gb ram and 320hdd. It serves me a good job. But I'm planning on using virtual machines, hosting game servers. So far when i was using Windows 10 the i5 was alright for everyday tasks like browsing and online school. In Pop_Os its even better but virtual machines in both don't run that well.

For the upgrades I'm planning to buy first a quad core CPU if possible, since there aren't a lot of CPUs. Here in my country I have a few options. All second hand since I'm not sure if they are available as new. In front of the name i have put the number of active listing for each CPU.

My options are*:

(1) i7 -2630 QM

(4) i7 - 2670 QM

(1) i7 - 2820 QM

*there are also some 1st and 3th gen CPUs (720qm, 3630qm) but i doubt they fit in the laptop i have.

As far as i know the 2670qm never was offered in a laptop when they used to sell this model, but the 2630qm and the 2820qm were. I know that i will need i 90w power adapter since the one i have now is week.

My question basically is which CPU can i buy for an upgrade.

And how are temperatures going to hold. I personally don't think its going to be a problem since those CPUs where being sold on this model.

Thank you in advance !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.