Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, im trying to identify open {unused)  pcie ports in my laptop    hp 81Ied 62.55.   so i downloaded HWINFO and it lists all my ports and whether they are open  or what is plugged in to them and the type of port. eecept i do not know how to identify the ports in a laptop they are very different from a pc which is fairly easy to spot. In addition it lists ports that have device names associated with them that  im not sure I have, or are misnamed  i dont see the camera listed  for example .

looking at device manager I have  system slots listed  1PCIE x1 i use and   3PCIE x1 and 1PCIEx4 ports with no device, listed as open unused.. I have a wifi card and a network card listed in device manager ,I found the wifi card its removeable  both show connected, I have 2  sata 3( im assuming ) ports listed... my ssd is in one ,the other is listed as secondary hdd bay Which I believe the dvd  was attached to ,.i tried to add an extra drive there with an adapter and it doesn't power up so i think i either damaged the connector or the adapter is garbage.. I have 3 external usb 3 ports ,an external card reader, external  rg45 ethernet connector and external hdmi . all work as designed. And show up in the device manager, here's the readout too hard to explain i couldnt copy the port detail  so i listed it

Computer: HP HP Notebook
CPU: Intel Core i5-7200U (Kaby Lake-U, H0)
2700 MHz (27.00x100.0) @ 3092 MHz (31.00x99.8)
Motherboard: HP 81ED
BIOS: F.49, 06/26/2020
Chipset: Intel Kaby Lake-U Premium PCH
Memory: 12288 MBytes @ 1064 MHz, 10-10-10-28
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake-U GT2) [H0] [Hewlett-Packard]
Intel HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Drive: WDC WDBNCE0010PNC, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: Intel Kaby Lake-U/Y PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8101/2/3 Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8188E Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E Network Adapter
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19041.388 (2004/May 2020 Update)

devicre manager under port connectors has a drop down with a long list of everything i have port wise.it shows

I have 5 system slots,    4 unused 3 PCIE x1 and 1PCIE x4  the other PCIE x1 slot is in use doesn't say by what

2 sata 3 slots, one in use (ssd) other is secondary hdd bay  and unused

2 on port connectors one listed as on board floppy, the other on  board  primary IDE,i did not identify either looking at the board im not sure what a modern floppy would look like the old ones were big.

1 external network port  for the rj 45 port ethernet cable

3 external usb 3 ports

1 16550a serial port compatible connector, it says its  com 1  and  a db 9 pin male for the connector external

3 external audio ports ,(mic and speakers)

2 video ports 1 crt  external db 15 pin female which i think is the screen.....and the  other is tv out , mini din which I cannot find anywhere. 

so my question is what would the PCIE x1 ports look like ? in a laptop 

and what does the PCIE x4 port look like i find several capped port connections for tape connections but i have no idea what type they are. all i can find on google is pc sized type PCIE  connections which im familiar with.

so this is probably basic stuff  but i am 40 years behind the last computer I programmed ,with 80 colum cards  that took up an entire 30 foot long room for all of 32K in memory lol. so conceptually im good mostly but visually i dont know alot of what im looking at.

Thanks

and a mouse port and a keyboard port ps/2 connector

I have several open ports inside that take wire tape connectors that are nothing attached to them. one is very wide maybe 1.5 inches  near where the drives mount, 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.