Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M476dw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have a HP MFP M476dw printer / scanner / fax, about 5 years old. I have not had a major problem with it. Always running off a Mac or iPad.

I have a new Mac with OS 10.15. When I got it, I went to the HP website and got the latest software/driver (before even trying the hardware). Since then, I will get an intermittent error, about 25% of the time, that says "Scanner reported an error - An error occurred while communicating with the scanner".

This error only happens when I'm using the document feeder, never when using the flatbed option. The same document which will give me an error message will work a few minutes later. Seems to be more frequent on multi paged, two-sided docs but it is not exclusive (and I can't detect a pattern of when it occurs besides the doc feeder).

I still have my old computer, a Mac currently on OS 10.14. I am still able to scan there and have never seen this problem. 

I also don't have any problems printing or copying (I never fax).

My guess is that the printing software has to be tweaked for 10.15. Or can anyone suggest a way of addressing this? Or a way of letting HP know about this without signing up for the service contract (I'm an individual, not a business).

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.48.42 AM.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.