Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Designjet 4500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to connect a Designjet 4500 printer to my laptop with a Firewire cable.  These printers did not come standard with a USB connection.  It is considered an accessory and very pricey one at that.  I've seen prices around the $500 mark to buy the card that has the USB port that must be inserted into a PCI slot on the motherboard inside the printer to use USB connections.  It only has an ethernet port and two firewire ports.  I can connect with the ethernet port using a cross over cable and print and use the EWS to monitor printer status and other features like updating the firmware.  But I'd like to know how to set up the printer to work on a Firewire cable instead.

Any tricks to it?  My "Add a Printer" menu doesn't show the option for the IEEE 1394 port.  How do I add a port that will use the Firewire cable?  The one I'm using is a FireWire 10ft Cable IEEE 1394 Fire Wire iLink DV Cable 6P4P M/M, according to the package.  The laptop has the small 4pin port on the side.

Any help is much appreciated.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.