cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MikehAus
Level 1
5 4 1 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Free Win7 upgrade possible after installing Win7RC over eligible Vista ?

HP Recommended

This has not been answered in the FAQ

I've just bought a TX2-1615au eligible for the upgrade.

I don't want to have to learn Vista (still on XP) so I want to install Win7 Release Candidate immediately.

When Win7 is released, will I be able to install the free Win7 Upgrade after October 22, since it won't be able to test for a valid Vista Home Premium ?

Mike

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It seems the upgrade disk will work only if you have Vista installed, and not XP. You could probably install the RC on a separate partition, and when you get the upgrade, wipe out the RC partition, and use the disk to upgrade Vista to Win 7.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
MikehAus
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"install the RC on a separate partition"

Although that doesn't allow the benefit of easy upgrade from Visto to Win7 - unless I install all my apps on Vista, then do Win7RC upgrade, but retain Vista.

Then when Win7 full-release arrives, I boot from Vista and install the upgrade on all my applications.

- will Win7RC make it easy to do a Dual-Boot install ? I haven't done that before.

Mike

Thewebdogguy
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've heard yes.You will just use install disc like any other.But you will need the Vista disc to verify the upgrade.

0 Kudos
MikehAus
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Which Vista Disk is that ?
0 Kudos
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've installed XP and Windows 7 RTM and dual boot works flawlessly. Dual booting is not really an issue anymore. It works well. I think i might just install Linux along with XP and Win 7, but that'll override the Windows bootloader as the initial bootloader, which i really dont care about, cos Linux bootloader takes care of everything very well. But I guess this is irrelevant info for you. Sorry! 🙂

Well I hope you do install the RC just for testing purposes and not as a primary OS. You could install all the apps on the RC just to see if they work or not. But keep all your important data n stuff under Vista and use the upgrade disk to upgrade Vista. Acc. to Microsoft, you cant upgrade the RC to the production version anyways, so there's no point using the RC as a primary OS.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
MikehAus
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 2
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"I've installed XP and Windows 7 RTM and dual boot works flawlessly."

Thanks Dexter !

It sounds like that'll be the way to go with confidence :smileyhappy:.

The Australian PC Authority magazine of September 09 explains how to do Dual Boot install of Win7RC over Vista. The cover DVD holds the software to save me doing a big download.

Actually using Vista, as an XP-user, isn't as hard as I'd thought. I may just run with minimal applications installed on Vista and then upgrade to Win7 after Oct 22, hoping the apps will migrate painlessly.

If I can't get a few applications to load on Vista, I'll just keep using them on my old XP laptop.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation