cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ksadl
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Free Windows 7 Upgrade Clean install questions

HP Recommended

Hi, I recently purchase a Mini 5101 it comes with XP Pro and Vista Business... I currently have Vista Business installed on it. I'm wondering about the upgrade process to windows 7. On the free upgrade website it says that the OS can be upgraded to windows 7 depending on wether I have vista (straigh upgrade) or xp (need to perform a clean isntall). Now, my question is can I perform a clean install with this upgrade? I know normally you can perform a clean install via inserting the media disk of the previous OS  during installation but as the Min 5101 is a netbook (no cd-drive) I will likely be installing it via a USB stick. Having a clean install is very important to me.

On the upgrade website it says that if you are currently using XP pro you must perform a clean install. Would it be better for me to install XP right now order the upgrade then install Vista so that I can get the version that will allow me to perform a clean install-- or would I get the same disk either way?

I know that the install disk haven't been out yet and so not many would know about the process entirely. I'm sort of hoping someone will have special knowledge about this. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The installation media will allow you to perform a clean install "upgrade" by using the current OS's product key during the install. This allows it to verify that you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation