cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Wessley
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

How do I install applications from Recovery Partition

HP Recommended
How do I install Applications from the recovery Partition?  I installed Windows 7 RC 2, but left the Recovery Partition intact.  Would like to know how to install some of the software that came with my laptop.  Is there a way to install them from the recovery parition, or do I need to use the recovery disks?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Insert your HP Recovery Disc 1 in the DVD drive and browse to the HP folder. Open the HP folder and then open the Apps folder.  You should then see a listing of applications (Example: APP14095).  Open the APP folder and click on SRC and look for the SETUP.exe file of the application you wish to install.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

0 Kudos
Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I put in Disk 1, but I don't have an HP folder.  I have BOOT, Preload, and Sources.  Would it be on a different CD?
0 Kudos
Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I checked all 3 cd's and none of them have an HP folder.
0 Kudos
Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Any other advice on this?
0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,463
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reinstall Vista using you Recovery Disks. Locate the folder..C:\SwSetup and copy it to dvd before reinstalling Win 7.All of your drivers and software installers are in that folder.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Vishnuchittan
Level 3
Level 3
56 56 0 9
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Am not sure if you are using a desktop or notebook in the first place. Procedure provided below would work on a desktop normally.

Well a recovery partition would generally be a D:\.

1. So click start and hit run ( or open the run command box by holding windows logo key + R simultaneously ).

2. Clear contents of run box and type D:\hp\Apps and hit enter. This would open a window showing folders named APP14534 (example). Open the folder and you should be able to locate setup.exe or an executable file. If you don't find in the folder, try to explore subfolders and you should find the executables. 

You can also type D:\hp\Apps in the start search (index box in start search).

If above procedure doesn't work for you, then you can open My computer and type D:\hp\Apps in the address bar. Hit enter to open the folder. Once you open application folder, you may use the back button and open Drv folder incase you are looking for drivers. 

Normally, applications are saved in folder named swsetup in Notebooks right in C:....

Hope these helps.

Good Luck,

Vishnu

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP. 

Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I do not have a D:\HP folder at all.  All I have on the D drive is a Recovery folder, which I cannot view the contents of.  I believe Cheryl's idea will work, but I need to burn this folder to DVD before I try it
0 Kudos
Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
FYI I have a dv6871us Entertainment laptop
0 Kudos
Vishnuchittan
Level 3
Level 3
56 56 0 9
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You wouldn't be able to explore and view D:\HP on your recovery partition by doubleclicking. It doesn't work that way. Open run command and type D:\HP\Apps and hit enter. or type D:\HP\Apps in index search and hit enter (run command is better). Again this applies well on a desktop normally.

Well, if you have a notebook, then the software applications would have been stored in C:\Swsetup folder which would have been deleted when you clean installed. But if you could tell me the applications you are looking for, then I could check for possible downloads.

You may have to purchase the recovery disks as a recovery disk creator software is bundled with factory shipped OS normally which is remove with clean install.

Message Edited by Vishnuchittan on 10-06-2009 07:06 PM
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation