cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MWKZ
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Unknow device after installing Windows 7

HP Recommended

Hello,

I installed windows 7 beta on my DV9000 laptop.I used the Vista drivers (found on HP website for my laptop model), the laptop worked normally but I found an unknown device in the devices manager, also I installed the figer reader device and driver correctly but the reader is not working.

First, how can I identify what is the unknown device (I installed all drivers correctly and I checked all external devices such as sound, vga, mouse touch pad ... all working as they were in Vista)?

Second, I installed the finger reader correctly and it is shown as working in devices manager (this means it is not the unknown device). Does the reader need a special software to be installed in order for the reader to works correctly?

Thank You

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,949 42,189 4,642 12,403
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Use Windows update,  and take a look to see if there are hardware driver updates available when it  checks for updates.

Win 7 does come with many drivers and more are available at Windows Update.

regards,

erico 

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
kookcoo
4 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow.. This is the very good feature for Windows 7.
0 Kudos
MWKZ
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you,

I will check this solution today.

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,949 42,189 4,642 12,403
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kookcoo wrote:

Wow.. This is the very good feature for Windows 7.
Absolutely. Windows 7 is the way that Windows should have always been. Frequently when I load Windows & it even has all of the chipset drivers. Microsoft did a good job on this one. It is superior to Vista in many ways.

regards,
erico 

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,838 772 4,463
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If this problem won't be solved then...

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager

Click with right button of Your mouse on each yellow sign and choose properties. Then go to bottom details and paste here Hardware Ids. This way we will know what it is.

Below You've got example how to do it:

Device ID

Device ID

Device ID

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation