cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dark_skeleton
Level 2
19 18 1 4
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post

Solved!

Windows 7 Pro x64 does not detect HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor (accelerometer)

HP Recommended

Hello there.

I installed win7pro x64 yesterday and already came across a serious problem that makes my way of using the notebook a bit dangerous for my precious data.

When I was working on HP-branded Vista 32bit (from recovery partition etc), there was a device called HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor together with HP ProtectSmart (or Protect Smart) software. In other words, the HDD accelerometer that parks HDD's heads when it "feels" it's falling or something, and software for it. It worked brilliantly.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Until I decided to install Win7... Then, surprisingly after a driver-install failure and taking a look at the Device Manager I noticed that there's no such device! I checked it three times, looked at every device's property, even reinstalled Vista 32bit back - it showed again - and installed Win7 - not detected again. There's nothing that has Device ID's HPQ004! I remember people saying that after fresh Windows install, there were 6 unknown devices or more. I had only 5. [Fingerprint device, 3x MemCard reader and IR receiver]. There was no accelerometer... Also, when I try to install the drivers/software, the windows pops up:

ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection: with text Property.AccelerometerNotPresent

and then another one saying something like Features were not installed because of installation error or unsupported feature.

So now I'm stuck with a notebook that is unsafe to travel with, because the disk is no longer protected 😮

I already installed all the drivers available from HP page, even downloaded newest ones from Intel (chipset) etc.

Is there a solution to this? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Windows 7 is officially out and available as RTM version, not beta, so I think HP should open support for it and release new drivers for win7! And most importantly, fix this issue ...

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
dark_skeleton
Author
Level 2
19 18 1 4
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, thanks to myself, I fixed it. After some thinking I remembered that ACPI = BIOS-related. It appears that there is a problem with the newest (F16) BIOS.

F.16 changelog is below:

Version: F.16 A  (26 May 2009)       Fixes  
  • Updates the Intel MRC Code to version 2.7.
  • Updates the Intel AHCI OP ROM to version iSrc 1.20_E.0012 11252008.
  • Updates the BIOS to support Microsoft Windows Vista Operating Systems with Service Pack 2 (SP2).

I went back to version F.14 and... boom! New (unknown) device found 🙂 And guess what, it's ACPI/HPQ0004... So now my HDD is protected again ^^ yay!

I don't know which of these changes cause that, but it looks that that can be fixed.

I'll go back to F.16 again to see if the device will disappear and then contact HP support on that case.

EDIT: Well, F.16 breaks things again, so it's definetely a BIOS problem. Thanks for... umm... well... at least spread the word, guys 🙂 I hope this helps if someone has the same problem.

Message Edited by dark_skeleton on 08-22-2009 07:08 AM
Message Edited by dark_skeleton on 08-22-2009 07:11 AM
0 Kudos
AIR
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yep! the same issue! But flashing back isn't a solution...
0 Kudos
dark_skeleton
Author
Level 2
19 18 1 4
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well yeah, it obviously isn't, especially that flashing back only makes that device visible in Device Manager and lets the drivers install, but it still doesn't work 😮

The software indicates that Protection is supported and working, but no matter how much I shake my lappy, with lid closed or open, it never parks the heads 😕 dang 😞

Is there any way to cancel the "Accepted Solution" thing? Mods? Would you do that? That problem is still not resolved 😕

0 Kudos
WendyM
Level 7
1,018 917 21 140
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Unmarked as solved for you :generic:

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

0 Kudos
sforza
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Try installing ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection for Microsoft Windows Vista located on your driver download page. This is what worked for me. Also, if you are showing other unknown devices, try installing the JMicron SD card reader drivers.
0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It doesn't work because the software and drivers have not yet been updated for Windows 7.  While most Vista stuff does work, it is not surprising that this is not on the list.  While you could search out the exe and change it's compatibility tab to Vista, I think this is one piece of software for which you should just wait on an updated version.  At least for my money, I would not try to force compatibility when the software is something that can affect hard drive functionality.  Keep in mind that WIndows 7 will not be out until 10/22 - I would suggest waiting until after HP releases updates before deciding there is anything of major concern.  Personally, it won't be of concern to me anyway since I don't consider it to be a particularly impressive utility (and do believe it gives people a false sense of security).  For those who feel they do need it though, I am sure an update will be forthcoming....

Stephen

0 Kudos
dark_skeleton
Author
Level 2
19 18 1 4
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sforza: wow... that's really... a brilliant idea... if only I haven't tried that 5 times in a row just before I started this topic.

It's impossible to force compativility mode, it still doesn't work. Now that I had ProtectSmart installed while I had F.14 BIOS that I later upgraded to F16, I can't even uninstall the software now lol 😄 It says that Property-something and quits with an error...

eh eh...

Message Edited by dark_skeleton on 09-01-2009 05:07 PM
0 Kudos
AIR
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended
So the only way out is waiting for the next BIOS update... May be  it'll contain SLIC 2.1 too :OpenSmile:
Message Edited by AIR on 09-02-2009 01:20 AM
0 Kudos
gmchenry
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had similar issues with my Elite Business Desktops.  I can install the ProtectSmart software and 3D driver, but the drive is indicated as being unsupported.  I found that if I install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows 7 that the features will enable and the drive will indicate that it is supported.

...now if I could just find workable AMD chipset drivers for my dv4-1155se...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation