cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
michaeleman
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

windows 7 and HDD controller drivers

HP Recommended

I need a compatiable HDD controler driver for windows 7 for a  Slimline s3500F.  When I try to run a clean install on those desktops, windows 7 can not find a HDD to install on.  This is not an upgrade.  The drives have been formated in the windows 7 cmd term so nothing is on the disks.  I just need a HDD controller driver.

I have already tried expanding the nForce 430/6150se chipset driver from nVidia's site (32bit Vista/win7 ed.), but none of the sata drivers in the archive are compatible with my hardware according to the Win7 install app.  If the Slimline s3500f does not use the nForce 430/6150se chipset, what does it use?  Getting any information for this computer seems to be difficult. On a personal note from myself and the company I work for, If we can't get any concrete answers to these questions I will be forced to upgrade our office PCs because the Slimline s3500F pc doesn't currently have an OS on them which is clearly unaccaptable.  If I am forced to upgrade, my company will never by HP again, this lack of clear documentation is appalling.

Extra information if it's helpful.  

A recent office move has resulted in the loss of our s3500F restore CDs.  Since we never purchased a copy of vista, and because XP seems to be impossible to install on them (errors after the xp pro Install coppied files to the HD & restarted), and because both IT and admin refuse to buy a real copy of vista, our only option right now is to get win7 on these PCs A.S.A.P.  We are using the 7227 Ultimate RC until Win7 goes for sale at retail.  However, as I've already said if we can't get our s3500F PCs online we will be upgrading our office equipment, (most likely canidate is Dell due to superior documentation).  I don't care about GFX, sound, or even card reader drivers.  I just need the Disk controler so we can get a base OS on them.  As long as they are operational we can wait for extra drivers.

3 REPLIES 3
cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Assuming you have a genuine "Full License" version of Windows 7, open the motherboard BIOS and change the DVD drive to the first bootable drive and the Hard Drive as the second bootable drive.  Insert the Windows DVD in the DVD drive, save your new BIOS settings and upon restart you should be able to boot with the Windows 7 DVD.  When the setup menu appears, select the option to delete any existing partitions, then create a new partition and proceed to install Windows 7.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
michaeleman
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cnfrisch wrote:
Assuming you have a genuine "Full License" version of Windows 7, open the motherboard BIOS and change the DVD drive to the first bootable drive and the Hard Drive as the second bootable drive.  Insert the Windows DVD in the DVD drive, save your new BIOS settings and upon restart you should be able to boot with the Windows 7 DVD.  When the setup menu appears, select the option to delete any existing partitions, then create a new partition and proceed to install Windows 7.

I appreciate the reply but did you even read my post?  The problem isn't that I can't boot the windows 7 install DVD, the problem is that I can't get the Windows 7 installer to see my hard drive.

For clarification puposes:
I can boot off the windows 7 DVD

The DVD rom in all of the s3500F systems is the primary boot device.

There are no partitions to delete in the Win 7 setup screen because it can't detect any supported hardware to install on. 

This is a Driver issue - not a bios issue.

I have been able to determine from multiple websites now that the chipset in the s3500F is a nForce 430/6150SE.  The current revision (nVidia-15.49) of the driver with windows 7 support does not work.  I am currently in the process of trying older version of the nForce 430/6150SE to see which version of the SATAide driver will work with the s3500F in windows 7 ultimate.  

cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same NVIDIA chipset in my HP Pavilion PC and performed a clean install of Windows 7 without issue.  If Windows 7 setup cannot see your SATA hard drive, the likely issue is a BIOS configuration problem.  Windows 7 includes controller drivers for the very common NVIDIA chipset you have.

This issue can occur if the BIOS settings of the SATA HDD are incorrect. I recommend making sure AHCI SATA Mode is configured properly in the BIOS.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation