cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
llll
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

windows7 upgrade on hp laptops running vista home basic

HP Recommended

hi..

i bought hp dv4-1240TX in july'09.

but i am shocked and cannot find out whether HP will provide me free upgrade to windows7 or not as microsoft promises me an upgrade

ref:: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

and HP have declared in its site that it will not upgrade any home basic machines.

i think it's wrong and feel CHEATED...

pls help me with this........... 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Thewebdogguy
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Return it and get a Home Premium version.
0 Kudos
llll
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cant pay another $150 bro 😛

better y dont we ask HP to provide win vista basics upgrade to win7 

0 Kudos
samschilling
Level 6
524 517 11 54
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ask away.

I'll bet I know what the answer is.

0 Kudos
Auberon2k
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No manufacturer has announced a free upgrade program for systems running Vista Basic.  All the offers are for Home Premium/Business/Ultimate.  HP and other manufacturers aren't obligated to even offer these free upgrades.  We expect them and welcome them,but there is no obligation.

I'm a systems technician for a large company and have been playing with the Windows 7 RC for some time.  Our enterprise agreements allowed us access to the MSDN betas also.  We've been avoiding Vista in our company but look forward to Windows 7.  Sadly there is no direct upgrade path from XP to 7, it does a parallel install, moving the previous OS and files into a Windows.OLD folder on the drive.  All the drivers and applications have to be reinstalled after this.  For any machine running any version of Vista it is possible to fire the DVD in the drive and have it upgrade to Windows 7. 

TLDR:  Yes, Microsoft Windows 7 supports a direct upgrade from any existing Vista version to Windows 7.  HP's (and Toshiba, Sony, Lenovo...) free upgrade program does not extend to systems that ship with Home Basic.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation