Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
D9Y32AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The issue we are having is our laptops not connecting to the keyboard when using the docking station.  The keyboard had been working with it prior to recent updates and reboots.  Happens with both win 10 and win 7.

The keyboard connects reliably if logged in as a user with full admin rights.  It is sometimes, but most often not recognized/ working if logged in as a limited user when connecting to the dock.  If you dock as admin and switch users, it continues to work.

There is a known issue between a windows 10 build update and the hp keyboard driver which was causing a system crash (Blue Screen Of Death).  Microsoft released an update to block the problematic keyboard driver:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-bsod-problems-microsoft-offers-up-driver-fix-for-hp-crashes...

The update blocking the driver installation might be the cause, but why does it work as admin? and why is the problem with windows 7 too?

Is HP aware of this issue where the keyboard only doesn't connect without admin rights?  And do they have a solution? Newer, or older keyboard driver?

Another update that may be a factor on windows 10 is KB4023057, this appears to have been the only update applied recently to one machine, and removing it and rebooting may have resolved.

All of the examples of this I've seen are using the 2013 Ultraslim docking station:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=5422417

We've seen this with 2 models of laptop, the Elitebook Folio 9480m and the Elitebook 840 g3. Also happening for both windows 7 and 10.

the 1st of those models is on the list of compatible laptops for the docking station, the 840 g3 is on the list, but not the g3.  Since this is happening with a supported model, it doesn't seem to just be a compatibility issue.  The dock fits, all other peripherals work, including monitor and usb mouse, but no downloads for this docking station on the laptop drivers and updates page. 

I'd like the latest software support for the docking station on all models.  so 2nd question,

Is this laptop really not 'compatible' with that dock?  Can we use the driver for the same version of windows from the folio?  Or do we need to get a different docking station to be fully supported?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

before you go any further, i would make sure to update the Ultraslim dock's firmware... the latest version, i believe, is 2.33

ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.exe

to install the f/w, download and run the softpaq, while a laptop is connected to the dock AND a monitor is connected to a DP port (enables the DP hub portion of the firmware to update)... then, undock the laptop, unplug the dock and plug everything back in

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.