Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp 620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! 

I have an old laptop which i wanted to bring back to life for my mother. It is HP 620 and it's old. Like 10 years old. 

I already ordered another ram stick and now i thought how about adding some cheap ssd just for system files and do a clean install of win 10.

I have two options and those are: 

-PNY CS900 120g and 

-Silicon power a55 120g

Both are 21e, so I'd like to get the one that's more reliable if possible, since I don't hear a lot about mentioned companies, especially PNY. 

Also, is it even possible to add an ssd in this laptop? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Makgora wrote:

Hello! 

I have an old laptop which i wanted to bring back to life for my mother. It is HP 620 and it's old. Like 10 years old. 

.... Also, is it even possible to add an ssd in this laptop? 

@Makgora 

No, you can not add. You have to replace existing HDD with SSD You can use a standard 2.5" SSD to REPLACE existing HDD. SSD's are cheap now, what is the capacity of existing HDD ? You can use larger (capacity).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It can not be added instead of cd/dvd reader? If no, that's a bummer! I have 500gb hdd curently installed. 

HP Recommended

@Makgora wrote:

It can not be added instead of cd/dvd reader? ..

@Makgora 

You did not say you wish to replace ODD (Otical Disc Drive or CD/DVD) with SSD. Yes you can with a caddy BUT no point to add SSD to the ODD slot because you won't gain anything from SSD due to slow SATA speed.

My  suggestion

(a) Move/clone Windows and applications from 500GB to 500GB or 1TB SSD,

(b) Swap out HDD and install SSD on the old HDD slot,

(c) Run on SSD for few days or a week,

(d) When happy put old HDD to a caddy (note: your machine uses 12.7mm thickness ODD) and install it to the ODD slot.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yeah, sorry for not mentioning that I wanted to add it instead of odd! 

Thank you for suggestion, i will do that. But, please tell me what is the difference? Isn't my ODD connected to sata 2 ,just like hdd?

Also, since I don't have to save any current files from my hdd, couldn't I just put ssd instead of hdd, and hdd in caddy, and do fresh win10 installation? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.