Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended

I have two HP Elitebook Revolve 810 G3 computers (same product number), and one of them was refusing to boot even after removing the battery multiple times (caps lock flashing 8 times slowly). So I had the brilliant idea of swapping the BIOS chips between the computers, which are placed in a little 8 pin socket.

When I put the bios chip of my "broken" computer into the "working" computer, it automatically did a recovery procedure and booted up as expected. However, when I put the bios chip of my "working" computer into the "broken" one, I was greeted with the following message:

Bios-identity-boot-error.png

(In case you have trouble reading the image, the message says: BIOS Identity Data Manual Recovery     Embedded Controller has identified a problem with platform configuration data and recovery policy is manual. Contact your platform administrator to continue with manual recovery, or change recovery policy to auto in F10 BIOS setup. )

I do believe that, in the past, I probably have (by accident) set, in F10 BIOS settings, Sure Start BIOS Data Recovery Policy to "Manual" on my "broken" computer, and left it as default ("automatic") on my working computer.

My problem now is that I cannot access F10 BIOS settings on my "broken" computer anymore, and the only thing that I found regarding manual recovery, is this information available at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06399361 Screenshot_HP-Manual.png

But then again, pressing Windows + Up Arrow + Down Arrow keys seems to do nothing. And now I regret not reading manuals before pressing buttons (and  changing BIOS settings). Anyways...

If anyone has any idea on how I could try to solve my problem, even if it means purchasing/using an external programmer or trying to switch bios chips again between my two computers, or some other key combination or procedure I could try, I thank you very much in advance.

Have a good day and thank you again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.