Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My client has a HP Probook 450 G1, i5-4200M and Windows 10 Pro 64bit.  I have updated many HP laptop BIOS in the past by going to the HP support site, searching the model, navigating to the driver page, selecting the OS and then downloading the recent BIOS from the list.  I have even recently update the same model laptop but with the i3-4000M with no issues.  Unfortunately when I try to update this one the BIOS update option is greyed out with the message, "This BIOS update is not compatible with this device."  I have confirmed that they are both the same Family of BIOS L74.  

I know that this is a safety measure to prevent you from installing the wrong BIOS but I don't know why it thinks they are not compatible when I am getting the BIOS from HP for the correct Model and the correct BIOS family.  The only thing I noticed that may be related is that the BIOS version on the site has a Rev.A at the end and the laptop one does not.  But the site does not offer any alternatives. 

Any help or feedback would be greatly apprecaited.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE - I found a solution.  The update GUI through windows was the issue and wasn't working properly per my post.  I had to use the option to create a Recovery USB Flash Drive using the windows GUI.  I then made sure the .bin file was in the "Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New" folder.  In my case the .bin file was in the "Current" folder and I had to move it to the "New" folder.  I then rebooted the computer into the BIOS and ran the BIOS update.   This immediatetly installed the update.  Afterwards I logged back into Windows and verified the BIOS was on the newest version.  Hope this may helps anyone else who gets stuck. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

UPDATE - I found a solution.  The update GUI through windows was the issue and wasn't working properly per my post.  I had to use the option to create a Recovery USB Flash Drive using the windows GUI.  I then made sure the .bin file was in the "Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New" folder.  In my case the .bin file was in the "Current" folder and I had to move it to the "New" folder.  I then rebooted the computer into the BIOS and ran the BIOS update.   This immediatetly installed the update.  Afterwards I logged back into Windows and verified the BIOS was on the newest version.  Hope this may helps anyone else who gets stuck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.