4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Battery Drain

HP Spectre Pro 13 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a USB-C Dock ocnnected to my HP Spectre (HDMI and RJ45 ports), and when i turn the system off for the night and turn it back on in the morning, the battery has drained. Should the battery be drained when nothing is actually running, or does the HP-Dock still consume power even when the laptop is not on?

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3418
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Battery Drain

@JohnWinward

Windows 10 comes with a new form of hibernation, known as Fast Startup, enabled.  With this enabled, when you shut down the PC, it actually goes into hibernation -- and that requires battery power.  You would need to disable Fast Startup to prevent hibernation.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

After that, the PC should not use battery power anymore when turned off.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation