Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 820 G4 (1FX43UT)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook no longer displays the remaining time left while on battery.  I've run HP Support Assistant and made sure all drivers and the BIOS are up to date, but still nothing.

What can I do to have this functionality back?  This is driving me insane on such a high quality and expensive notebook, as I now make sure I have a decent charge before I hit the road, whereas before I could easily gauge how much time I have before I would need to recharge the battery.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Anyone with any insight?  Not really looking forward to being on the phone with HP support just for this.

HP Recommended

In Windows 10 try the following

Click on the Windows button in the lower left.

Type the following

Turn System icon on or off - select this option and it will take you to Settings for the Taskbar

You should see a screen where you can turn off/on various system icons in the System Tray

Look at "Power" and you shoul be able to turn on the icon.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended
The icon is there. It tells me the battery percentage when charging and discharging, but it does not display the time left.
HP Recommended

I've been doing some additional checking.  From what I have seen, the Creators Update for Window 10 has altered battery information.  

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-battery-details-...

I'm not certain if there is anything HP can do to change this behavior.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended
I have found a solution-

Enter the bios while starting up the computer. Navigate to the right and there should be an option to enable battery time remaining or something like that.
HP Recommended

@mv5903 I also would like to see the remaining battery time but cannot find this BIOS option. Can you please explain in more detail where to find it?

HP Recommended
Immediately after starting up the computer, press esc and then go to the bios (I think it’s f4.) Under one of the tabs there should be a list of battery options and it should be in there.
HP Recommended

I know how to get into the BIOS (it is ESC and F10).

However, I can't find any battery option.

I have UEFI BIOS Version HP P78 Version 01.08 17/10/2017.

My system is a HP EliteBook 840 G4.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

BIOS is accessed by hitting the Esc key at startup repeatedly and then selecting F10.

You can find the battery option by using the right arrow key to select System Configuration > Battery Remaining Time.

Also can an HP Expert verify this? I'm not sure if I'm correct but I believe Microsoft's decision to increasingly move PC's toward Modern Standby Mode is actually causing this issue. More information about Modern Standby Mode here.

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.