Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 11

When attempting to update the Bios - the process is blocked with the following message "Bios Signature Verification Failed"

This issue was repeated (the same) when attempting to update from within the Bios - OR - as from a file downloaded from HP Support Website.

I wonder if it is the Windows Defender interfering? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It appears the antivirus is preventing the bios update from completing. Disable the antivirus, redownload the bios update and try again. Make sure to re-enable antivirus protection after the update is completed.,

Nathan
If my response helped you, please let me know by marking my answer as the accepted solution. This will help others.
HP Recommended

The only anti-virus this PC is running is the Win11 Defender. All my attempts to disable it so far only hold until the next reboot. And the Bios install process always begins during a reboot. If I could update the Bios without rebooting that would be a way to install while Window Defender is disabled.

I even disable Defender via "Edit Group Policy" and it was re-enabled during reboot.

What I have NOT tried yet is to first disable "Tamper Protection" - as I saw an article that claims that this feature may stops Defender Re-Enabling Itself.

I will try this later when I have the time to do this.

HP Recommended

You can also put the bios update onto a USB drive and force the system to do the update by doing a key combination on boot but if the bios update is not significant I would not recommend this approach as it is mainly used for recovering the bios from a failed update attempt bricking the machine.

Nathan
If my response helped you, please let me know by marking my answer as the accepted solution. This will help others.
HP Recommended

I turned off; therefore  Disable Tamper Protection - and it did not prevent Window defender to re-enable itself during reboot.

I am only updating the Bios because the Version installed is old - however there is no issues that I am aware of from running this old Bios version. Security wise it may need to be updated but I think I may give up trying to update this Bios. I have never had an issue updating a Bios before. I always had good luck with HP PC's, kind of glitch free and long lasting - this is my fourth HP PC. And this is my first 'stubborn' issue with a HP product. ... no easy solution to be found....

Thanks Nathan... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.