Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 460 G6 i7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a Probook 450 G6 and I'd like to use the action keys functionality without pressing the fn key each time. So instead of pressing fn + F3 I would like to use only F3.

I searched this forum and found this article but the solutions don't seem to apply to my notebook. The fn key on my 450 G6 does not have a key light and I don't see another function to change the behaviour of the fn key. I have not yet found a BIOS setting either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

a friend of mine , got a 440 G6 . with BIOS 01.01.01 pressing FH+Shift button , the small light on FN button goes ON.

then he updated the BIOS ,  to 01.03.00, using the option available in F10 BIOS setup.

He confirms that even with 440 G6 , with BIOS 01.03.00 FN+Shift doesn't work.

I guess HP has to make the correction as soon as possible.

bye

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello

could you post a picture of the area incliding the FN key ?

the manual says that " You can disable this feature by pressing and holding the fn key and the left shift key. The fn lock light will turn on. After you have disabled the action key feature, you can still perform each function by pressing the fn key in combination with the appropriate action key."

bye

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I had a very, very close look at the fn key and there is in fact a little spot right to the text 'fn' that is probably the key light.

I see the same spot in the numlock and caps lock keys and when I press these keys the light is turned on.

But whatever I do the fn key light does not turn on: I pressed left shift + fn (as described in the manual): no light. The same for other combinations like alt + fn, ctrl + fn, right shift + fn, only fn, etc. No light.

Maybe the light is broke but it looks like the function to use the action keys functionality without pressing the fn key each time is completely missing.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello

I dont' have a 450 G6 but I will try with a 445 G6. it's a different BIOS, but I check what happens with this model.

bye

HP Recommended

Hello

a friend of mine , got a 440 G6 . with BIOS 01.01.01 pressing FH+Shift button , the small light on FN button goes ON.

then he updated the BIOS ,  to 01.03.00, using the option available in F10 BIOS setup.

He confirms that even with 440 G6 , with BIOS 01.03.00 FN+Shift doesn't work.

I guess HP has to make the correction as soon as possible.

bye

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help!

I guess my best option now is to try to contact HP support and open a support ticket.

Bye!

HP Recommended

I was meaning something like taht

Thanks it save me a lot of time

Nicolas (France)

HP Recommended

HP ProBook 4xx G6, ZHAN Pro 66 G2 - FN Lock Function Not Working After Updating BIOS to Version 01.03.00

BIOS Update Available - 01.08.03 Rev.A

Fixes an issue where the Fn Lock does not function properly after the BIOS is updated to 01.03.00

HP Recommended

HP ProBook 440 G6. BIOS 01.08.03
After switching in BIOS Fn and Ctrl buttons everything started working.

Shift (FnLock) + Ctrl (Fn)

Windows 10 1903 18362.388

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.