Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP ENVY 13 (13-ah0003na) that I use when photographing football - I have a 65W mains USB C power supply & also a 80W USB C battery bank for using at grounds that don't have pitch side mains power available.

I have been using this set up successfully for over a year but during the last game I was covering I noticed that the PC was running on the internal battery only.

Since then I can only charge using the 'normal' power supply.

The USB C port is still working apart from charging the PC - if I connect my mobile phone I can see the files on the mobile in Windows explorer & also charge the phone from the PC.

Any ideas on how to get the PC to take a charge over the USB C port again?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@FarnhamBee

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery. (only for removable battery)
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only. (only for removable battery)
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.
  • If possible, try an alternate charger.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

There were no updates or changes involved - charging via USB C was working during the afternoon & I then noticed that it had stopped working later on the same day.

I have both a mains powered USB C adaptor & a USB C battery bank - both of these charged my PC via USB C previously - neither works now.

I followed your suggested steps, my PC does not have a removable battery as such but I was able to disconnect the battery from the motherboard after removing the rear casing 😉

Unfortunately I am still seeing the same problem, I have noticed a few extra details though:
I have a USB C tester & when I plug in either my mains powered USB C adaptor or my USB C battery bank I can see that the PC is 'asking' for 19.5V - but no current is drawn (previously it would draw 2 to 3 Amps)
If I have the 'normal' mains adaptor connected then the LED next to the DC socket illuminates (orange if charging, white if fully charged) - as expected.  If I then also connect either of my USB C chargers & then disconnect the 'normal' mains adaptor the LED remains illuminated until I remove the USB C charger too.

The charging status in Windows 10 follows the LED status too.

So, it seems to me that the PC can 'see'  the USB C charger & gets the charger to set the correct voltage level but then doesn't actually draw any current.

Hopefully this extra information can help shed some light on the problem as being able to charge via USB C was one of the main reasons I chose this particular laptop over others - it suits my use case perfectly.

Thanks again for your attention / help.

HP Recommended

@FarnhamBee

Thank you for posting back.

Let's try Microsoft system restore:

1. Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds.

2. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until you see the Windows loading screen.

3. If a language selection screen opens, select the language you want to use to continue.

4. On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, select the keyboard layout that matches your keyboard type.

5. On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.

6. Click Advanced Options, and then click System Restore.

NOTE: Depending on your settings, you might need to select an account and enter your login information.
  7. Click Next.

8. Select a Restore Point, and then click Next.

9. Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.

Click Yes in the caution that displays.
    CAUTION: Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts.

10. When System Restore is complete, the computer restarts.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your attention & suggestion.

I have rolled back to a restore point  more than a week previous to when the problem arose.

Unfortunately the problem persists 😞

HP Recommended

@FarnhamBee

Thank you for posting back.

The last thing I can suggest try and restore the OS back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue.  The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.