Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
USB C/A Universal Dock G2 (STW13AA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

Im having a problem with a USB C/A Universal Dock G2 - or at least I think it is a problem......

I have an older laptop, a HP Probook 430 G3 which connects just fine to the dock via either the included USB C to A adapter, or via a "4.5mm and USB Dock adapter" which I have also purchased.

While I can see this adapter was not made specifically for my laptop - as the length and direction of the plugs do not suit perfectly, I still thought I would be able to use it to charge my laptop.  However this doesnt appear to be the case - the laptop doesnt show charge coming  from the dock

Im confused as to why it wont work though...  I can take the Dock power supply adapter and plug it into my laptop and it charges just fine; but if I take my laptop power supply adapter and plug it into the Dock it doesnt power up.  The plugs look identical across the 3 plugs; my original laptop supply, the dock supply, and the 4.5mm adapter cable.

Is there anything that Im missing here, or does it just "not work" for some reason?...

Thanks

Barry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

I' sorry to tell you that is gen1 , not compatible with Universal Dock G2.

you should buy the product 6LX61AA 4.5mm and USB Dock Adapter G2  , Assy PN    L61657-001

bye

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello

there are two version of "4.5mm and USB Dock adapter" . version 1 is not compatible with USB-C Universal Dock G2.

do you kwno the producd number you ordered ot, could you write the number you may read on the label attached to the adpater ?

bye

HP Recommended

Hi

I never thought of there being multiple versions of the cable....  I have  HP p/n:L01515-001 (4.5mm and USB Dock Adapter)

I just bought it off ebay.  Its curious that all the other functionality works perfectly - it just wont power the laptop.

Thanks

Baz

HP Recommended

Hello

I' sorry to tell you that is gen1 , not compatible with Universal Dock G2.

you should buy the product 6LX61AA 4.5mm and USB Dock Adapter G2  , Assy PN    L61657-001

bye

HP Recommended

Thanks - much appreciated.

That does strike me as odd- I do wonder what the difference might be between the 2, given that I would have thought its a mechanical device built on open standards.

Cheers

Baz

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.