Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys,

I'm adding some BIOS upgrades in SCCM. By downloading the latest BIOS for our fleet of EliteBooks 840's i've noticed the softpaq (SP138919) contains 2 bin files. These bin files refer to S70/S73 BIOS types:

[DetailFileInformation]

S70_01082000.bin=ROM,S70,03,12,20,22
S73_01082000.bin=ROM,S73,03,12,20,22

I need to relate these .bin files to the correct system, but the CVA-file contains:

[System Information]
SysId01=0x8723
SysName01=HP ELITEBOOK 830 G7,HP ELITEBOOK 840 G7,HP ZBook Firefly 14 G7 Mobile
SysId02=0x8724
SysName02=HP ELITEBOOK 850 G7,HP ZBook Firefly 14 G7 Mobile,HP ZBook Firefly 15 G7 Mobile

So... we only have the EliteBook 840 (0x8723): but to what .bin-file does this correspond? The S70 or the S73 .bin-file? 

Or am i missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

use

get-hpBiosUpdates -platform 83D2
get-hpBiosUpdates -platform 844A

to know the BIOS family

bye

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello

Install HP Client management Script Library.

then read the value "System BIOS Version" in this way

Get-HPBIOSSettingValue -name "System BIOS Version"

on my unit (a desktop PC) I get: S21 Ver. 02.10.00 01/10/2022

where S21 is the BIOS family.

In this way you discover is your fleet has S70 or S73.

I guess S70 is used when the graphics card is Intel UMA and S73 when it's an AMD card.

bye 

HP Recommended

Thank you sir 🙂

Although your input provides some valuable insights i do think i should clarify my intentions. I'm using System Center Configuration Manager to deploy to a few thousands notebooks with varying types and models. It's not easy to manually go check this for every system. Let me give you a example:

I use SP137119 for the HP ProBook 640 G4 contains 3 system ID's: 0x83D2, 0x8416 and 0x844A. It also contains 2 bin files: Q83 and A77. To be sure which bin file was needed on the ProBook 640 G4 i had with me, i did:

PowerShell: Get-WMIObject win32_bios, which gave me: SMSBIOSBIOSVersion: Q83 Ver. 1.19.00

Then i subsequently did:

PowerShell: Get-WMIObject win32_BaseBoard, which gave me: Product: 8416

This provides me enough information. I am now confident that:

System ID 8416 is linked to BIOS Q83 type.

System ID 83D2 is linked to ?

System ID 844A is linked to ?

It is not doable to query this for every system ID.

HP Recommended

Hello

BIOS update could be done in several ways if you have installed , on the clients , HP Client Management Script Library (supported on computer build in last 3/4 years)

example, you just run this on a PC, you don't need to know the SysID, PC will download latest available BIN file compatible with the motherboard , and flash it.

get-hpBiosUpdates -flash -download -bitlocker suspend -yes

or you can you

get-HPBiosWindowsUpdate -flash -yes

in these case the BIOS will be updated to latest version available via WU , it could be older than the one available with previous command.

Hi hope this help, it's a different method that the one you are using.

Another way,  it to use HP ImageAssistant just to update the BIOS , from HP web site (online mode) or from an internal shared folder (offline mode).

also in this way you don't need to know the SysID.

bye

HP Recommended

Hello

use

get-hpBiosUpdates -platform 83D2
get-hpBiosUpdates -platform 844A

to know the BIOS family

bye

HP Recommended

Haha, nice one TryToDoMybest 😉

Once the HP CMSL installed, this worked perfectly ty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.