Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 15 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, since some days my HP Zbook 15 G2 doesn't recognize the Optical drive. That has occurred after I attempted to read a DVD. Before that episode, all worked well. The model number of it is SU208GB.
This is the error message I got when I open the device manager in the general tab: "

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.
tried to disconnect and reconnect the drive from the upgrade bay

dvd issue.png
Here is what is displayed in the Events tab of the Device manager:

Device SCSI\CdRom&Ven_hp&Prod_DVDRW__SU208GB\4&1442da1a&0&010000 was migrated.
Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\CdRom&Ven_hp&Prod_DVDRW__SU208GB\4&1442da1a&0&010000
Class Guid: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0x0
Present: true

DVD ROM Issue.png
Here is what I did to try to fix:
. in a CMD windows I run the following: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth;
. then this command: sfc /scannow and it fixed existing corrupted;
as suggested here on the Microsoft website: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
I tried to uninstall and reinstall the SATA interface from the device manager as suggested in this post of the HP community: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...recognized-HP-Pavilion-15/m-p/6490107#M435659
. I tried to fix a possible corrupted registry as suggested in the same post;
. I downgraded the BIOS the upgraded it again.
My optical drive is not recognized yet; even when I boot and enter in the BIOS setup it is not detected.
Another option would be to install windows or Linux in a secondary drive to check if it is detected.
I wonder now how to check if it a hardware failure?
A hardware failure of the optical drive or of the SATA connection of the motherboard with it?
Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I the end I have fixed it. I've bought and installed the spare part 735600-001 now it features the following model number:: GUD1N.

Soon after the installation, I rebooted it the first time but the optical drive was not yet recognized. I then rebooted again to access the BIOS to check if it was detected, and yes it was. When the second boot was ended the drive was successfully recognized.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I the end I have fixed it. I've bought and installed the spare part 735600-001 now it features the following model number:: GUD1N.

Soon after the installation, I rebooted it the first time but the optical drive was not yet recognized. I then rebooted again to access the BIOS to check if it was detected, and yes it was. When the second boot was ended the drive was successfully recognized.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.