Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook G5 850
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am going insane. I am trying to connect my new HP Thunderbolt Docking station G2 (120W) and when I try to install the firmware, it says the following:

Unbenannt.PNG

It shows really weird behavior and it's really driving me nuts. What is working is the power as well as the DisplayPort connection. I have two LG 32" 4K displays connected. All the rest is not working and I can't figure out why.

I wasn't very smart, I hadn't activated the Thunderbolt connection and as such, it wasn't established, this has now been fixed and works now. The second issue still prevails.

With the displays, I have another problem of its own. The one display has a 4K resolution, the integrated display also shows 4K, but the second monitor only shows a lower resolution and I can't change it:

Unbenannt2.PNG

According to the following document, the docking station should be able to handle this load:

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1045971206.pdf

On page 11, it says that two monitors with 4K would be supported with my docking station.

Can anyone help me out here? I am desperate and I regret that I spent as much money as I have on this and end up worse than with the setup of a six-year old laptop + docking station.

My setup:

- Elitebook G5 850

- Thunderbolt G2 Docking Station 120W

- 2x LG 32" 4K Displays

- Several devices connected to the docking station to no avail

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I think you should start with a BIOS update and verify that you have the latest version. After that verify that your security settings in BIOS are set to no security.
If it still isn´t working try to run HP image assistant and see who drivers are missing.

HP Recommended

I've done the BIOS update.

I went into the security settings and don't exactly know what you are referring to when you say the security settings in BIOS. There was a tab with Security, there were several things on there, but nothing struck me as a yes or no question. Could you elaborate maybe?

Edit: I've now run Image Assistant and updated every single driver and still to no avail. I am not mistaken in thinking that the laptop can handle three 4K displays (2 external + 1 internal display), correct?

HP Recommended

I thin k it should be possible with two external displays. 

The setting I´m talking abouit is this one.

0633e51f-5b94-4ba7-9884-ad33ed4eb80b.jpg

HP Recommended

The setting for no security doesn't appear for me. I still wasn't able to get the monitor working. Maximum resolution it shows is 1920x1200.

HP Recommended

Hello

as written in this document http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA7-3384ENW.pdf

at page 7, if one 4K display is connected to DP port , the second MUST be connevted to Thuberderbolt 3 port.

IT's the USB-C port on the right side of the displayport, looking the docking from the back.

you will probably need an USB-C-to-DisplayPort adapter if you LG 4K display deons't have a USB-C input video port.

Bye

HP Recommended

That's a good input, unfortunately, the way via USB-C didn't work for me either. It was actually worse in a sense that it didn't show any output and didn't seem to be recognized by the laptop. I will have to try again though, maybe I've made a mistake, but even the Thunderbolt authenticator didn't recognize the laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.