Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 450 g5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When "Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" is checked in the BIOS and the laptop is on AC Power, even a light task is getting the CPU to very high temperatures around 70-80 C. If I load the CPU it could go to even 90 C. When the laptop is not on AC power there is no such problem. When I uncheck "DPTF" from the BIOS everything is going perfect. On AC power the idle temperatures drom to 40-48 C and when loaded the CPU does not go more than 60-65 C.

I've installed the recommended drivers for DPTF from the HP's site. I tried to leave the Windows drivers for the DPTF too, but the effect is the same.

I am already with the last BIOS version too.

Can I do anything more or just hope that with new BIOS update or DPTF drivers the problem will be resolved.

Can anyone with the same laptop model share his expirience too?

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello

which software do you use to check the CPU temperature ?

Usually when the notebooks are ruiing on battery, the Intel Turbo boots will not be activated, so the CPU works less.

There is a BIOS setting "Turbo boost on DC" that by default is disable. if you enable it , the CPU use Turbo  boost also running in battery.

There are some other parameters in Pwoer scheme determining the computer bahaviour.

I'll try with other notebook models to check the CPU temperature , if you provide the name of the software used.

bye

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am using "Open Hardware Monitor" a free tool. I will post image down there. These parameters are when I am on battery. You can see that Turbo boost is running on battery too, because it reaches frequencies more than 1600MHz and at the BIOS "Turbo boost on DC" is off.

With AC Power on the temperatures rise up 5-8 C but nothing ordinary. Everything works perfert again with "Turbo boost" on.

At the moment I activate "Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework" from the BIOS and the situation changes drasticly. Temperatures a rising very fast to 60-70 C on light CPU tasks and something are getting to 80-90 C. This occurs only on AC Power. On battery with "DPTF" on everything looks normal.

2019-02-06_095013.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

I'll do some tests next week, currently I've no time.

I should have a 440 G5,  same as 450 g5 but with 14" display.

I'll let you knwo what I read using "Open Hardware Monitor".

which windows 10 version are you using  , 1709, 1803 or 1809 ?

bye

HP Recommended

Hello I am using 1803 version of Windows 10 Pro

HP Recommended

Hello

I got a 440G5 with 1809, I'll let you know if I sse the same behaviour

bye

HP Recommended

Hello

using a 440 G5 14" instead of a 450 G5 15.6"

BIOS Q85 01.02.07
"Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" Enabled in the BIOS Setting
Power supply connected to the system
Using HeavyLoad software, I get CPU Load 100% on 4 cores of Core i5-8250U. Cores Temperature is around 70/73 Celsius. Fan is always running.
When I stop HeavyLoad, temperature goes down below 50 °C and the fan noise stops.

In device Manager I find "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Configuration" with 4 devices. the driver use is Intel , 22 June 2017 8.3.10205.4743.
So everything looks good.

I BIOS setting I disabled "Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework"
Power supply connected to the system
Using HeavyLoad software, I get CPU Load 100% on 4 cores of Core i5-8250U. Cores Temperature is around 67/70 Celsius. Fan is always running.
When I stop HeavyLoad, temperature goes down below 50 °C and the fan noise stops.

In device Manager "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Configuration" deosn't exist

in any case with 440 G% BIOS Q85 01.02.07 I never seee the Core temperatures over 74 °C.

then I chaneg a Windows parameter. clicking on the battery ICON in the system tray I moved the slider on the right side in order to have maximum performance. the temperature raised jus by 1 or 2 °C.
Then I changed to Power scheme to "Maximum Performace", temperature went down by 1/2 °C.

I re-enabled Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" in BIOS Setting. is behave as before.

I never see the temperatures staying over 72/73 °C, very seldom spikes over 80 °C.

I'm not to see the same issue your described,
I don't have any 450 G5.

Bye

HP Recommended

Thank You very much for your efforts. I guess I will wait for a BIOS update and hope it will fix the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.