Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite x2 1012 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received a bunch of 1012 G2's with HP USB-C Universal Dock's (1MK33AA)

and i'm having issues using PXE to deploy windows when connected to the dock. 

I'm deploying windows 10 1703 and the driver for the docking station  i have added to the task sequence is sp81478

which is the latest driver that is supported for the Elite X2 1012 G2 according to HP softpaq Download Manager.

What happens is that the PXE boot initializes just fine but half way through the deployment process it looses network connectivity and the deployment fails. 

The wierd thing is, if i connect to the network via a HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit RJ45 Adapter (N7P47AA) instead of through the docking station, the deployment goes through just fine. After the deployment is finished i can then put the ethernet cable back in the docking station and it works and if i check device manager the driver for the dock is installed. 

i've tested this with 3 different docks and 3 different 1012 G2's and result is always the same.

tl:dr 

Network conenction is lost when deploying windows via PXE while connected to network  through USB-C universal dock,but works just fine with a USB-RJ45 adapter

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Just a thought.

Go into the Bios Setup,

In the Advanced Tab, go down to Port Options

Ensure that Thunderbolt Type C ports is selected.

Ensure that Require BIOS PW to change TBT SL is unselected

Now go into the Thunderbolt Security Level and select from the drop down list: PCIe and DisplayPort  - No Security
Ensure Restrict USB Devices  is set to Allow all USB Devices.

This setting allows me to PXE boot and build on the 90W Thunderbolt 3 dock, the Universal USB-C Dock and the first and second generation of the USB-C docks as well as the USB-A Gigabit Adaptor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.