Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 830 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Updated my 830 G5 to bios  01.11.01 today, upon reboot i'm presented with a "please enter your Drivelock password"

One issue I've never set a drivelock password?  If I take the NVMe drive out and put it in my desktop computer it boots without an issue.

If I roll the bios back to 01.10.01 again it boots without any issues.  The drive is a Samsung 960 evo NVMe with hardware encryption enabled, but not used - bit locker is set to software encrypt at the moment.

Anything I can do to update to the latest bios, or what might be causing this issue?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your pointers, it's working now!

Changed

Allow OPAL Hard Drive SID Authentication to Enable -  before updating

Makes sense really, shows that the bios now supports NVMe for OPAL instead of SATA only (which appears to be what a large part of what the update was about?)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello

I will try in next days to update BIOS to an Elitebook G5 to 01.11.01 and see what will happens but I'm not sure to be able to try with NVME Opal2 SSD.

in any case I'll let you know what happens with my notebook.

was the Samsung 960 evo NVMe with hardware encryption,  installed by HP in the factory or is it a disk you bought afterward ?

bye

HP Recommended

Many thanks,

Yes it's an aftermarket drive, I installed it the day I got the EliteBook.

It has been working without issue for just over a year,  always kept the laptop up to date, so has had a few bios updates , just doesn't seem to play well with the latest one.

HP Recommended

Hello

do you have a BIOS administrator password and/or BIOS power-on password ?

bye

HP Recommended

Hello,

At the time of upgrade, yes I had a bios password set.

HP Recommended

Thanks

so I'll set one before to run BIOS update.

I guess that Automatic drivelock password  is involved in this specific situation.

Would you check how it' set that paramenter . you can use BIosConfigUtility to read it from windows 10.

bye

HP Recommended

I've just tried resetting the bios to default, and all security settings to default, running the upgrade again still the same issue.

According to BiosConfigUtility  I don't seem to have a automatic drivelock parameter in 01.10

This is a section from the file I created
 ------------------------------------------------------------
DriveLock Enabled Drives

Secure Erase Hard Disk Serial Number

Secure Erase Hard Disk Model Number

Secure Erase Completion Date

Secure Erase Completion Status

Allow OPAL Hard Drive SID Authentication
*Disable
Enable

----------------------------------------------------------------

HP Recommended

Thanks for your pointers, it's working now!

Changed

Allow OPAL Hard Drive SID Authentication to Enable -  before updating

Makes sense really, shows that the bios now supports NVMe for OPAL instead of SATA only (which appears to be what a large part of what the update was about?)

HP Recommended

Thanks

let me understand better the sequence

1. you reset the BIOS security setting
  2. then enabled Allow OPAL Hard Drive SID Authentication
  3. then updated to 01.11.01 , without having a BIOS Administrator password ?

I see "Allow OPAL Hard Drive SID Authentication" also with BIOS 01.09 on my unit

bye

HP Recommended

Yes
This should be my whole journey

1.Updated from 1.10 to 1.11 with bios password - DriveLock error
2.Removed drive - reset everything to defaults including security settings, inserted drive - still DriveLock error
3.Rolled back to 1.10 - booted fine
4.Again reset all defaults including security settings and upgrading to 1.11 again, this time with no bios password - Failed with DriveLock
5. Rolled back to 01.10 - All OK again
6. Enabled "Allow OPAL Hard Drive SID Authentication" upgraded to 1.11 no Bios password set - All Working

I suspect I could have just removed the drive after step one and ticked that box in the bios

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.