cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
joe1970
5 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Elitebook 840 G5 Keyboard Options

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

The maintenance guidbook for the HP Elitebook 840 G5 states that there are two backlit keyboard options: L14377-xxx (backlit) and L14378-xxx (backlit, privacy).

What is the difference between the models and what does "privacy" mean for the keyboard. I know that the laptop has a privacy screen feature, but what does the keyboard have to do with it?

The background of my question is that I will get this laptop from my employer, but I do not like the keyboard language variant it is shipped with. I want to replace it with a US layout and wonder what I need to order now. In this respect there is another potential problem. It looks like that the US layout version (L1437x-001) is not really available from the usual suspects in Europe. Any Ideas where to order it?

best regards, Jörg

2 REPLIES 2
David_J_W
Level 7
917 390 89 278
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think it is as simple is the privacy version of the keyboard has the hotkey to control the privacy screen and the standard keyboard does not. I could be wrong, of course.

My ZBook Studio x360 G5 is a non-privacy screen model and the F2 key (which would control the privacy screen were it fitted) has no hotkey logo on it.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
joe1970
Author
5 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for the answer.

I initially had the same thought, but it appears to be quite a costly effort for HP to manage different parts just for a different print on one key. That would mean that the F2 key on any of the possible keyboards shoud be able to operate the privacy feature. But I am not sure. So I better get the L14378-001.

Does anybody know a supplier of the US layout version in Europe or with shipping to (Sweden) at reasonable costs. So far I only found it on Ebay from China, but what they offer seems to be not an original part and accordingto the pictures also not the "privacy" version.

best regards, Jörg

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation