cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
45N0130
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Elitebook 840 G5 Smart Card reader not showing up / not recognized

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

***Cross-posted from the Hardware subforum***

Hi, everyone. I just installed a Smart Card reader in this 840 G5 as a proof-of-concept for an upcoming switch to using PIV cards to access machines. The physical installation was very easy, but I do not see the Smart Card reader in Device Manager anywhere, no do I see any options in the BIOS to enable the reader. I have installed the  "Alcor Smart Card Reader Driver" from https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98312.exe but that doesn't seem to have done anything. I manually started the Smart Card services in services.msc but still nothing. Any ideas/suggestions? Thank you for your time.

2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
100,850 39,885 13,094 27,445
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@45N0130 

Elitebook 840 G5 is a series of many different models/products with many different options/configurations and Smart Card reader is an OPTION.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05903028#AbT7

Did you buy this option ? I did not buy this option that why my machine does not have Smart Card reader.

If you wish, you can buy part #  L18312-001 and install to your machine.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
45N0130
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I have already purchased and installed the Smart Card reader (the part number you listed). I will be retrofitting a number of machines with this option/part. The part is installed already, but it is not showing up in Device Manager.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation