Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteBook x360 1040 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Elitebook x360 1040 G7 Core i7/16GB ram hooked to HP Thunderbolt G2 dock and 2x 4k monitors.  Drivers and firmware are all up to date. 

The laptop fan likes to kick up to medium speed, even when CPU is only 15% or under.  I've also noticed that while webex meetings are running (CPU is still 15% or lower), the fan kicks on the most with that app.

Does anyone have recommendations for any fan controllers or ways to lower the fan speed? I can't be the only one with this issue.  In the past I've used Speedfan, but it doesn't seem to work with this model.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem.

An almost constant running fan.

Not so loud but constantly running.

This is caused by the intel speed boost.

The only solution is to change the max cpu load in the power profile to 99%.

This makes the laptop really quit, but also reduces the max cpu performance to 1,5.Ghz.

So from a performance perspective, no a good deal.

I hope they bring out a bios patch which allows a non running fan even with max cpu speed = 100%

HP Recommended

That is the only thing that I have been able to find as well.  Undervolting does not work anymore since PC manufacturers have fixed the Plundervolt hack risk.

So lets get this straight...  Buy a new business class "Elite" HP laptop for $2000 then disable the Turbo on the CPU to keep the fans quiet resulting in performance reduced by ~30%.  Nice.

HP Recommended

you can try to use "Notebook fan control" application https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases

app required some configuration and be sure your laptop model is supported

HP Recommended

I have used that one in the past. But notebook fan control does not have a profile that works with the 1040 G7.

HP Recommended

You can try to use profile for similar model.

For example for my HP Probook 455R G6 I use profile for Probook 440 g3.

For test other profiles you can try in read only mode change profiles and see that Notebook Fan Control show real temperature of your CPU.

Note: be careful because possible to damage your BIOS and will need to update using usb flash drive

HP Recommended

I've tried those other HP models, but nothing comes up there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.