Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Fury 17 G7 Mobile Workstation (9UY36AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a low strange sound in the background all the time. More frequent the more the computer is working. It sounds like the access of an old hard disk, but is lower. It is not the basic fan (I know how that sounds). My guess is that it is another, small, fan used for a specific part of the computer. The problem is that the sound is intermittent (not constant) and it is very annoying. HP Help Desk says "turn in the computer for a week and we will have a look at it", not an option at the moment.

If there is a small fan causing this "noise", is there a software fix for it? Or can it be something else?

Grateful for any help,

Staffan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved this issue, but the cause of the sound is really far-fetched....

Anyhows, I found out that the sound was connected to the scrolling feature (documents, web sites). Separate mouse or built-in, didn´t matter, both caused the annoying scratch sound. Then in another forum someone suggested that it was the external PS that caused the problem. So, I unplugged the computer, and off went the sound!

Not the first thing that comes to mind..... 

To anyone that has this problem: Unplug the power supply. If that helps, get another PS - (and make HP pay for it).

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Sounds like GPU fan Staffan55. You should really clean your computer from the dust bunnies...

HPZBookFury17G7_DualFans.jpg

As for software fix look at this:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Fan-Control-enablement-required-via-bios-update/m-p...

HP ZBook Fury 15 G7 CONFIG 

HP Recommended

Thenk you for your answer. But the computer is almost brand new and I don´t think much dust has been gathered yet. I also had a problem with the "Intelligent Charging Scheduler", causing the main fan to go hay-wire, but that was solved. This is yet another problem. But I´ll have a look at your suggested software.

It is however not very reassuring byuing an expensive computer and experiencing several problems. My cheaper HP´s never had anything like this.

Anyway, I´ll try the tips I get and hope they will work.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You should run it with the bottom cover off and flip it over so as to see where the sound is actually coming from. Perhaps you need a new fan. ZBooks are powerful machines and they have thermal issues.... Cleaning it out never hurts, sometimes some dust gets caught on a fan and it becomes noisy.

HP Recommended

Thenks again, I will do that. But how many fans does the computer have? This is not the main fan though.  And again, digging into the bits and pieces of a brand new expensive computer does not feel good. What has HP to say?  Is this due to a bad H/W design? 

Cheers,

Staffan

HP Recommended

Cleaning the laptop with compressed air after taking the back panel off is routine user maintenance. Like cleaning your car.

HPZBookFury17G7_panel.jpg

Your laptop has two fans as seen in my previous post's picture. One cools your processor and the other for your graphics video adapter.

HP Recommended

Well, I will clean it. But what I do not understand is why one of the fans operates intermittently and in very very short intevals instead of working constantly, not sounding like an old HDD.

HP Recommended

They're designed to only rotate when needed. If you want constant behaviour:

Check/Enable BIOS F10 option: Fan Always on While on AC Power (unchecked/disabled by default):
F10 Settings\Advanced Tab\Built In Devices Menu\Fan Always on While on AC Power

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c07754576

HP Recommended

Now it´s a bit spooky. I have opened the service hatch. The computer is perfectly clean inside, no dust, just to be sure I used some air to blow the few particles away. The sound still remains, and when it sounds, the fans both are still. They´re not moving at all. So it has to be something else. It might not be a device with moving parts, it may be the sound system. I will have a look into the BIOS to see if there are any setting I might try there. 

But at the moment I´m clueless. A real detective story 🙂

Regards,

Staffan

HP Recommended

Hi Staffan55.

Definitely weird. My guess is that it's probably something completely innocent. If it's audible most of the time, I'd take it to the shop just to be safe.... You need someone to take a look up close I think.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.