Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
UltraSlim Docking Station
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I understand there are two different "UltraSlim" Docking Stations:

- HP UltraSlim Docking Station (B9C86AV - older model)

- HP 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station (D9Y32AA - newer model)

HP is kinda hiding the latest firmware files for these quite well, as I do not find anything on the respective product sites.

In this related thread I think firmware for the newer model is discussed and linked - but things might have been further improved in the meantime.

Therefore simple request to an HP colleague: Can you please provide two links to the latest firmware files of these two models? Or is it one file for both models?

Many thanks!

JayKay99

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The firmware for the 2013 Ultraslim dock is version 2.33 and you can download the softpaq from

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.exe

When running the f/w update, make sure there is a monitor connected to a DP port, and after the update, remove the laptop from the dock, and power the dock off and on

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. So 2.33 is still the latest firmware for the newer model...

What about the older model?

HP Recommended

the 1st generation of the ultraslim (2012) dock did not have f/w updates... the main reason of the change to the current version (2013) is the addition of a 2nd DP port that allowed up to 3 monitors to be connected to the dock, which was new feature on the 2013 Intel graphics chipset... the previous graphics only supported 2 monitors

To support 2 DP ports, a DP hub was added to the dock and firmware was required to manage it... that firmware was updated over time to fix issues discovered by customers

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Understood, but then it seems like the 1st generation does not support Windows 10?! The issue we're facing and why I've been asking for an firmware update:

When booting up the opened laptop within the docking station with one external monitor via VGA cable works perfectly fine. Resolution on the external monitor is detected correctly as 1920x1200 (recommended). Removing the running laptop and plugging it in again, the resolution of the external monitor is messed up. It selects 1920x1080 without an option to select the correct one. With Display Port cable we are not facing this issue...

Any idea?

HP Recommended

The Ultraslim dock is a passthrough dock and support for Windows comes with the laptop you dock with... I suggest you make sure the BIOS and drivers for the laptop gets updated... Recommend using HP Image Assistant for this task

HP Recommended

Thanks for this suggestion. We will give it a try and see if a BIOS update is going to fix this.

HP Recommended

Any suggestions on what to do if the application just fails to launch?  Is there any logging anywhere that might tell my why it's not starting up?

HP Recommended

I went digging in to the system logs, looks like it's crashing:

Fault bucket 108731659613, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DP_FW_Updater.exe
P2: 7.7.1.0
P3: 57c52bd2
P4: DP_FW_Updater.exe
P5: 7.7.1.0
P6: 57c52bd2
P7: c0000005
P8: 0003fe3d
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1E57.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER21D2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER21F3.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2200.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER224F.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_DP_FW_Updater.ex_524daff4f3e3173f2717d5333185c57c36d62751_daf77f49_09e34e9a-51f1-42b3-abb2-fee341d74066

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 8186c77f-25a7-41ba-bf68-62313d51a091
Report Status: 2147487744
Hashed bucket: 0837bab2da1772895142c9c007ae28d5
Cab Guid: 0

Faulting application name: DP_FW_Updater.exe, version: 7.7.1.0, time stamp: 0x57c52bd2
Faulting module name: DP_FW_Updater.exe, version: 7.7.1.0, time stamp: 0x57c52bd2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003fe3d
Faulting process id: 0x550c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5b6bd039e32ca
Faulting application path: C:\tools\Ultradock Firmware\DP_FW_Updater.exe
Faulting module path: C:\tools\Ultradock Firmware\DP_FW_Updater.exe
Report Id: fd65e48a-2851-4597-8f1b-149eaedfad52
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.