Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 755 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My client has a HP EliteBook 755 G5 notebook with HP Client Security installed. When clicking the Password Manager button in HP Client Security, the following message is shown: "There was an error. Object reference not set to an instance of an object (0x80004003)". After clicking OK, the program closes.hpclientsec.png

The latest version of Client Security (9.3.20.2747) is installed. How do I work around this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @jernejs 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

Have you tried reinstalling the program ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

If reinstallation does not help, try :

• .NET framework repair and reinstallation
  • Windows 10 repair SFC and DISM

.NET framework repair and reinstallation

Source >> windowsreport.com

Reinstalling .NET Framework will get rid of the corrupted versions. Then you can replace the corrupted .NET Framework versions by reinstalling them. This is how you can quickly uninstall all .NET versions with the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool and then reinstall them.

• Open this Softpedia webpage in your browser.
  • Click the Download Now button on that page to save the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool ZIP to a folder.
  • Double-click the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool ZIP in the folder you downloaded it to. Then press the Extract all button.
  • Click Browse to choose a path to extract the ZIP to, and press the Extract button.

• Open .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the extracted folder.
  • Click Yes on the dialog box that opens.
  • Then select the .NET Framework – All Versions option on the Product to cleanup drop-down menu.

• Press the Cleanup Now button.
  • You can quickly reinstall .NET Framework versions with All in One Runtimes, which enables users to reinstall all essential Windows runtimes. To add that software to Windows, click All in One Runtimes on this webpage.

• When you’ve launched All in One Runtimes, select the .NET Framework check boxes on the Installation tab.
  • Click Install to reinstall .NET Framework.
  • This guide also includes more information on how to download .NET Framework.

So that’s how you can fix corrupted .NET Framework in Windows. In addition, check for Windows updates that might provide .NET updates with the Check for updates button in Settings. Fixing corrupted .NET Framework will ensure you can run all software that needs it.

Windows 10 Repair

Here are steps you can follow:

Make sure your PC is online.

In elevated Command Prompt (CMD) with Admin rights, paste this command

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

hit [ENTER] to run it and wait for the completion

Details >> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

In elevated Command Prompt (CMD) with Admin rights, paste and run

SFC.exe /ScanNow

hit [ENTER] to run it and wait for the completion

Details (Option 3) >> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-run-sfc-command-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. This is on a system with Windows 10 1809 build 17763.437 newly installed. I've tried reinstalling .NET and also reinstalling the program (and rolling it back a few versions).

Still encountering this exact error when clicking on Password Manager. 

HP Recommended

I think I found the reason it's was throwing that error. I temporarily turned off User Account Control (UAC) and it started working. 

It looks like when UAC is set to Always Notify it crashes Password Manager with that error. If you set it to anything below that it starts working. 

https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-turn-user-account-control-on-or-off-in-windows-10 There's the instructions to get to UAC if you need them. 

Hopefully this helps and hopefully someone will fix the product so that UAC doesn't have to be adjusted so it can be used.

HP Recommended

That is good to know @she-ra 

Thank you for sharing the information. Glad to see your problem is fixed (by a workaround).

If you decide to leave UAC on a max level or high level, perhaps you can configure HP Client Security Manager to always run elevated with Admin rights? Or how about using the default level ?

Because "Always notify" is not the default level, it is the highest possible one.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that running HP Client Security with Admin Rights makes a difference since I was getting the error while running it from my admin account. It was only after I set UAC to the 2nd to the highest level that I was able to open Password Manager. 

The company I work for currently has Group policy to set UAC to the highest level. Which is what i'm guessing other companies are also setting their UAC to. I'm not sure if this one program is enough to convince them to lower it.

It's a work around only for people that have admin access within my company at the moment. All others will probably have to wait until it can work with UAC set to max.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.