Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I was just wondering if any1 can help me to make sure that if my HP Elitebook 8540W will support the bellow processor-

http://ark.intel.com/products/50067/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-Processor-%286M-Cache-2_20-GHz%29

Thnx in advance !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The processor you want is not supported as shown in the posts above + there are different system boards to even upgrade to a quad core processor if you only have a dual core processor.

The BIOS update release notes indicate no support added for the processor you wanted to upgrade to either.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Here is the link to the service manual:  Please refer to Chapter 3, page 26.

Look at system boards.  As you can see, there is one system board for the dual-core processors: 520M, 540M, 620M, and a different system board for the quad-core processors: 720QM, 820QM

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02196457/c02196457.pdf

So, if you don't already have a 720QM in your notebook, you can only upgrade your notebook with one of the dual core processors.

Paul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

below list of supported procs

Processors

Intel Quad-Core ProcessorsIntel Core i7-840QM Processor (1.86 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 3.20 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i7-820QM Processor (1.73 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 3.06 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i7-740QM Processor (1.73 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 2.93 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (1.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 2.8 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Dual-Core ProcessorsIntel Core i7-640M Processor (2.80 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 3.46 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i7-620M Processor (2.66 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 3.33 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i5-580M Processor (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 3.33 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i5-560M Processor (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 3.20 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i5-540M Processor (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 3.06 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.4 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*  Up to 2.93 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

hi,

according to Quickspec of 8540W it supports:

Standard Features

Processors
Intel Quad-Core Processors
Intel Core i7-840QM Processor (1.86 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 3.20 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i7-820QM Processor (1.73 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 3.06 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i7-740QM Processor (1.73 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 2.93 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (1.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 2.8 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Dual-Core Processors
Intel Core i7-640M Processor (2.80 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 3.46 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i7-620M Processor (2.66 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 3.33 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i5-580M Processor (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*
Intel Core i5-560M Processor (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 3.20 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i5-540M Processor (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 3.06 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.4 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 2.93 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
* Intel's numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
NOTE: Processor speed denotes maximum performance mode; processors will run at lower speeds in battery optimization mode.

Urs is Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM Processor
(6M Cache, 2.20 GHz) - so most common CPU is QM standard on 6MB cache. Theres no exact info in quick spec that this exact CPU will be working but to me seems it should be working. QM standard is compatible like in here:  Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (1.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)*

anyways no 100% sure, i would be searching for exaxt one of those processors quickspec says - they simillar specyfication to Urs if u want i7.

regards

_____________ _ _ _
click on Kudos if i helped U 😄
HP Recommended

Hi:

The processor you want is not supported as shown in the posts above + there are different system boards to even upgrade to a quad core processor if you only have a dual core processor.

The BIOS update release notes indicate no support added for the processor you wanted to upgrade to either.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Here is the link to the service manual:  Please refer to Chapter 3, page 26.

Look at system boards.  As you can see, there is one system board for the dual-core processors: 520M, 540M, 620M, and a different system board for the quad-core processors: 720QM, 820QM

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02196457/c02196457.pdf

So, if you don't already have a 720QM in your notebook, you can only upgrade your notebook with one of the dual core processors.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thnx Paul......... but just wondering as upgrade which processor will be the best for this Laptop as a replacement for Core™ i5-540M Processor (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache).

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

If you can swing it, I would go for one of the i7 dual cores:

Intel Core i7-640M Processor (2.80 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)*
  Up to 3.46 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Core i7-620M Processor (2.66 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)*

I am concerned though, that the manual lists support for the i7 640m, but it is not listed on the motherboard section. It only shows 520M, 540M, 620M.

But then, there are those other processors on the list that say are supported and not listed with the motherboard section, so if I had to take a guess, I would say the i7 640M would work.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you so much I will take your advice. But I am a little concern about the power supply - among the 3power supply which 1 shall I consider ??

HP Recommended

With a workstation, I would not go for less than the 120W one.

You may as well get the 150W.

HP Recommended

Does hp elite 8540w Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz can support 3ds max 2011, 2012 and 2013 for rendering job??? 

If this mobile workstation labtop can be able to upgrade to  Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73GHz or higher speed /more GHz...???

Please let me know and what will be the cost for upgrading the parts and details

Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended
I would like to answer a person who finds him tried, no so says the user guide, you indicate that the HP 8540p only works with the graphics card NVS 5100m, and someone succeeded with a quadro 1000m, then not to believe in I think it was good that one would risk and ride the quad-core processor and comment if it works. I'll do the test with a 740QM have a dual core processor 540m and going to risk to 740QM update if I have success I notice and must be a genuine forum for support. or someone has tried unsuccessfully
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.