Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 455 G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We purchased a total of 20 new HP ProBook 455 G8 Notebook PC laptops. All 20 of them exhibit an issue where the message "HP EndPoint Security Controller Problem" appears on boot.

image001.jpg

The issue is random. If we power cycle the laptop, the laptop boots just fine. We have the latest BIOS version. We have tried reloading Windows. Nothing works. Since this issue occurs with all 20 new HP ProBook 455 G8 Notebook PCs, I doubt it is a hardware problem with all 20 laptops. There must be an issue with firmware and/or driver. The problem does not occur on every reboot and/or every shutdown. Just randomly occurs on reboots and shutdowns. We have reloaded Windows from scratch.  No change.  How can we fix this issue?

I do see others have also experienced this issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Endpoint-Security-Controlle...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Endpoint-Security-Controller-Problem/td-p/812425...

And no resolution on either of these posts.  Hopefully someone can assist.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

HELLO

I feel it would be fixed in next BIOS release.

bye

HP Recommended

Hello

your problem are different than the other two you wrote in the post.

I guess HP is working on this issue.

bye

HP Recommended

I started having the same problem as of yesterday with my 840G6 and so today I installed the latest BIOS update via the HP Image Assistant and it appears to have resolved the issue (tried restarting and shutting down/booting and am not getting that screen anymore).

HP Recommended

Hello

did you get EXACTLUY the same issue with error 0x6001 ? if not , it's a different issue.

bye

HP Recommended

That is a good point - it was not exactly the same as it did not have the [0x6001] part, just the message.

I assume, however, that since you're working with newer models than myself, HP may have included better error messaging.

Regardless, I can confirm that it was different, but I can also report that since installing the latest BIOS update this issue has gone away.

Have you tried that fix?

HP Recommended

Thanks.  As noted in my original description, we are using the latest BIOS version.  To clarify, this issue occurs on 20 ProBook 455 G8s that we just purchased. 

HP Recommended

For what it's worth, I had to install the BIOS update twice as the first time it didn't actually perform the flash. I'm sure you've confirmed that, but just wanted to note that as HPIA reported success on the install but then running a scan showed that I needed the update still. (SideNote: checking today, I see that 3 other updates that reported as installed are also requiring to be done again - same sp###### on each of them)

Otherwise, I do see that I missed that you're already on the latest. Hopefully HP can come out with a quick patch for this issue.

On the topic of it not being likely that it's a hardware fault - don't forget the saying we have in the industry about hard drives, which is to not put sequential serial numbers in the same NAS/SAN/RAID, just in case they were all "made on a Friday". Maybe your HP laptops, which these days are all rush orders due to chip shortages and everything being backordered, were built on a Friday...

HP Recommended

So far, HP support has done very little troubleshooting.  HP support has simply indicated that we need to replace all 20 motherboards.  I find it difficult to believe all 20 laptops have faulty hardware, but I suppose, anything is possible.

HP Recommended

Hello

are you using HP preinstalled OS or do you reinstalled it using some tools like Microsoft MDT or SCCM ?

Have you set a BIOS password ?

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.