Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I just tried windows 10 pro and still get around 4 hours. Besides, 7 hours is still too less than 11 hours that is written in specs for a mixed usage.

Gonna try the manual battery calibration now.

HP Recommended

Haha, you can't trust manufacturers with those numbers. Mine says 14 hours on the specs page. When I bought it, I expected it to last half that.

HP Recommended

of course i didn't expect it to last 11 hours but only 4 hours. come on 🙂

HP Recommended

I agree that's way too low. What are you doing on batter if you don't mind me asking/?

I do web development, content writing, and coding sometimes. My use-case may be lighter than yours.

HP Recommended

My usage "will" be similar to yours. However I purchased the computer this week and so far only tried using standard windows hoem and pro and linux (tried manjaro and ubuntu). And even though the computer is mainly running the OS, the battery life is short. Also after installing Pro as you suggested as well, fan noise increased.

Someone suggested a solution for battery performance in the thread I opened, will try that when I have a chance. I'm strongly thinking about returning and purchasing an xps 13 instead.

HP Recommended

Well, you can't compare the Envy to the XPS. The XPS is a class above - on par with HP's Spectre line. I would've gotten the XPS too if it didn't cost almost 1000 euro more than the Envy in my country. Although the Envy does look better than the XPS.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I'm here to also ramble on about battery life! 🙂

I've just received my Envy 13 a few days ago, as far as I can tell, I'm averaging about 3 hours 15 mins on battery. (1080p I7 16GB version)

HP said that it's probably a 'limitation of the device' rather than faulty but to me that's just a fancy term for mis selling.

I ran a very un-scientific test. screen brightness to minimum, windows update disabled, flight mode on. I opened a 720p video and ran it on loop, laptop held up for about 4 hours, not 15.5 hours.

Perhaps someone from HP could tell me what setting they use to get 15.5 hours, at this point i'm purley curious. Like most of you I would be expecting 6-9 hours of general use when I purchased it, needles to say I'm sending it back as faulty.

James

HP Recommended

I haven't done this test, but I know it' not gonna last for 14 hours.

If you find an answer to that question, please message me - I want to know that as well.

HP Recommended

Do have a different Laptop (Folio G1) but also issues with battery. It was completly dead after less then 3 years. Now there is a new insid and I started to have a closer look.

What I found strange is, that in Standby Mode it consumes a lot of power. Even in OFF it drains battery - observed 5% a day! Is this normal? Can't believe.

Also I found that device keeps USB powered all time. Even if I disable in BIOS charging  -  a plugged in device is active. Really ?!?

HP Recommended

[UPDATE]

So I received my second unit this time from John Lewis rather than direct from HP, interestingly I achieved 4:15 light browsing on battery, however the next day after updates and bios update (F.10) things returned to the 3 hours I was original getting on the other device. Interesting point to note, my original unit was getting very hot around the top right corner (by the power cord), having looked at photos of the internals this is where the network card was (I just assumed it was the CPU). My replacement unit doesn't get hot in this place any more than I would expect.

Regardless HP are saying that my second unit is also definitely faulty (I wonder if it is a batch issue as looking at my serial number the two units were made in consecutive weeks of 2019)

The question for me now, is, do I get a third unit? or find another device?

James

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.