Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the following drama with an HP USB-C Dock G5 (Thunderbolt 10Gbps).

From July until yesterday, it worked great with an HP laptop. I had a monitor, Ethernet and 2 USBs attached to the docking. With the clear awareness that it was a problem point, the connection to the laptop was made with a magnetic USB-C end - 20 pins. 3-4 times a week I unplugged the laptop (I just pull it out and then hook it up and it works), everything is fine. Yesterday I pulled it for 15 minutes and when I came back and hung it like any other time, nothing. Neither the monitor, nor did the laptop charge, nor did it detect the dock.

Now, the question is - is it software or hardware? At the moment I am leaning towards "retrograde mercury" ...

Here's what I tried, which takes me away from a hardware problem:

I hook up my Samsung Note 10+ phone, which has Dex, and everything works - the phone charges with fast charging, the monitor works, detects Ethernet, as well as a flash drive

The laptop, in turn, outputs a picture via USB-C to HDMI

The phone attached to the laptop is charging and the data transfer is working

The laptop is charged by an external battery, which is for a phone, but apparently manages to deceive it

Docking does NOT work on the same machine from different installation (on an external hard drive)

Tried everything else trivial - power reset of both, drivers, BIOS, settings

Alas, I don't have another laptop to test with.

In general - only together, suddenly, they do not work. Any other scenario works. I'm not fully aware of the pinout of the connector, but there must still be some overlap between the laptop and the other devices.

So, any creative ideas other than hitting it to the ground?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

My docking station if I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in will detect the laptop for less than a minute, the internet connects then all of a sudden it goes off as if it no longer detects the laptop.  Laptop works fine with two other docking stations, just not this one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.