Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I would like to inform you, that my problem with thunderbolt > display port is SOLVED.

Don´t know exactly how, but generally what I did:

1.) Rolled back to old 1.04.05 BIOS- very very thanks to Soccer_dan for support

2.) turned off all BIOS power management (there was an article says, that thunderbolt controller could be switched off by power mangement )

3.) doing crazy things with all possible drivers - HP Image assistant seems to be good helper

4.) BIOS upgrade to latest one - 01.06.03

5.) Bingo! Works again.

Maybe only BIOS "reinstall" - point 1.) and 4. ) is the solution, who knows.

However very thanks to Soccer_dan, who posted old 01.04.05BIOS and told me about flashing back

HP Recommended

Hello,

can you be more specific in step 3 ? What does it mean "doing crazy things with all possible drivers" ?

HP Recommended

Hello,

At this point, Thunderbolt is still unavailable.

I don't want to spend 1 week to reinstall old bios version and doing crazy things on a more than 3k$ professionnal computer...

Seriously, it sucks badly.

Regards.

HP Recommended

Neither I. But I also made the call to HP support call centrum here in Slovak republic. The suggestion was: Made the clean windows 10 installation. When I asked if it helps, he said maybe...

HP Recommended

HP have removed q71 firmware and advice to downgrade to q70 instead.

Thunderbold is now detected on my G5.

Thx.

HP Recommended

Have you got a link to the Q70 firmware? 

HP Recommended

The HP Zbook Studuio G5 BIOS is version Q71: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-studio-g5-mobile-workstation/18865653 and the latest version is 1.07.00

A different version of the BIOS, other than Q71, for the Studio (or Studio x360) G5 will not install and the BIOS update mechanism does several checks to make sure the BIOS is appropriate for the system in question

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I believe I have found the bug! This is a BIOS bug on the HP Studio G5.

I noticed that although I had the same view as yours and no driver was detected (also, no thunderbolt controller), when I changed the following from Legacy to Native + Low Power Mode the Thunderbolt controller appeared in Device Manager!

I can now see the controller properly through the Secure Connect Utility.

Thunderbolt PCIe Hot plug Mode
*Legacy Mode
Native + Low Power Mode

Since the same setting appears on x360 and zBook G5 (not the Studio) and works fine in Legacy, I believe that this is a BIOS bug.

Let me know if this helps you so HP can take care of this.

Alex

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.