Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

@David_J_W wrote:

@IF you want 4K @ 60Hz, I would go with the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 120W. It is supposed to be compatible with the EliteBook 8x0 G5 notebooks, as listed in this PDF (click).

@Well, I don't ABSOLUTELY need/want the 4K @ 60 Hz, I just want everything to work fine with no flaws... at the moment with the USB-C Dock G4, soon as my laptop goes into sleep, like 75% of the time, the monitor wont "wake up" and same if I open or close my laptop's lid, it wont sync with the monitor.

@I worked 1 year with 4K @ 30 Hz with my old 2015 MacBook Pro, who are not 60 Hz capable. The only thing who's a bit annoying is the cursor movement which is not accurate/fast as in 1080@60 Hz...

HP Recommended

Hello

I am now working through these exact same issues with an HP Elitebook 840 G5, and a HP USB-C Dock (3ff69AA#ABU) and a new  LG27UL600 monitor. What a mess.

Did you find a dock that worked as you would like it to? I just want to use the 27" LG UHD screen as the main screen when I have the laptop lid shut - and for the LG not to disappear when the laptop sleeps. OK, I can unplug the DP cable and plug it back in, but then why go to the expense of the dock? Running at 60Hz would be good too.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@apbliv wrote:

Hello

I am now working through these exact same issues with an HP Elitebook 840 G5, and a HP USB-C Dock (3ff69AA#ABU) and a new  LG27UL600 monitor. What a mess.

Did you find a dock that worked as you would like it to? I just want to use the 27" LG UHD screen as the main screen when I have the laptop lid shut - and for the LG not to disappear when the laptop sleeps. OK, I can unplug the DP cable and plug it back in, but then why go to the expense of the dock? Running at 60Hz would be good too.

Thanks.

Yes, the solution where to apply a firmware update to the USB-C Dock! Then after updating the firmware of the dock, I never loose the DP connection to my 4K display anymore! I was not even aware that a USB-C Dock can be firmware updated, but yes.

HP Recommended

the usb-c g4 dock will support a single 4k(uhd)/60hz display... 

first, make sure they f/w is up to date - version f.37 (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-usb-c-docking-station/17032707/model/20092244)

then, if the laptop suspends, there is no reason to have an external display visible... you may need to look at the power settings to see what is done when the lid is closed... if you do not want it to suspend, then set it to 'Do nothing'

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you. The serial number on the dock suggests the current firmware should be already installed but installing it (again?) seems to have solved the sleep and waking back up issue. However, I can still only get 30Hz refresh rate.

My 840 G5 has intel UHD graphics. Is that the limitation?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@apbliv wrote:

Thank you. The serial number on the dock suggests the current firmware should be already installed but installing it (again?) seems to have solved the sleep and waking back up issue. However, I can still only get 30Hz refresh rate.

My 840 G5 has intel UHD graphics. Is that the limitation?

Thanks again.

sorry, the firmware were only the solution for the sleep problem. But as for the 30 Hz problem, unfortunately it's just because this dock is not 60 Hz capable. The Intel UHD of the 840 G5 is 60 Hz capable, but not the dock. To fix the 30 Hz limitation, I unfortunately had to purchase a new dock, I ordered the HP Thunderbolt 3 G2 dock, which is roughly 50$ more expensive than the USB-C G4 but looks like a small "tower" (vertical shape) and this new dock is 60 Hz capable and it work flawlessly at 4K @ 60 Hz.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.