Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Studio X360 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning to everyone. My question is simple... can anyone point out to me where the 2 slots are for 2.5" SATA SSDs are in this machine? I have opened it up and can clearly see the factory installed M.2, I can also see the PCIe slot to add another M.2 drive, but don't see a SATA slot. I removed the battery and did find where to install the fingerprint reader, also see the cables already installed for the LTE module that HP insists is unavailable because there are no room for the antennas, but there they are. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

PS: If anyone has a source for the LTE module, fingerprint reader and NFC module, that would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have to order parts for the 2.5" SSD mounting - as well as order a smaller battery to do this.

HP parts are hopeless (USA, based in Central America somewhere) and will not give you the correct information.

Battery life also really *sucks* with the smaller battery installed! There is a YouTube video that shows how to install a SSD with the larger battery - but you have to disassemble the SSD... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNeFDBIJOMY

Let me know if someone provided you with the factory image of the laptop - I tried to reply to your thread - but it's apparently locked!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You have to order parts for the 2.5" SSD mounting - as well as order a smaller battery to do this.

HP parts are hopeless (USA, based in Central America somewhere) and will not give you the correct information.

Battery life also really *sucks* with the smaller battery installed! There is a YouTube video that shows how to install a SSD with the larger battery - but you have to disassemble the SSD... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNeFDBIJOMY

Let me know if someone provided you with the factory image of the laptop - I tried to reply to your thread - but it's apparently locked!

HP Recommended

Dude, I wish I had seen that video before shelling out $200 for the Samsung 970 Evo I have on the way but I WILL be trying to install one this way. Not clear if the cable is already there or whether he had to send off for one.

No, I have yet to speak to an HP tech that will give me an ISO. Of course they have sent me links to use the HP Digital Image Assistant which installs a modded version of W10 and some drivers, and also was suggested to use the Media Creation Tool for Windows and then install everything with the HP Softpaq Manager. This route DOES NOT return my laptop to its factory state. FAR FAR FAR from... doing it either of those two ways will consume a WHOPPING 80+ gigs on the SSD... when I received my laptop, the system was only consuming a little more than 30 gigs, a feat I was not able to accomplish on my own.

So, do you have an ISO for this machine?

BTW... I live in Costa Rica. If there is a parts dealer in Central America, I'd love the contact.

HP Recommended

I've got 3 drives installed with the smaller battery - had to figure out things myself 

Yes, agreed on the ISO - let me know if you get one!

I have the *exact* same problem - and even Zbook support has me doing the same steps

HP Recommended

I´ll be doing as in the video, not going to a smaller battery.

HP Recommended

I think this is the HP Parts number - just checked: [edited]

HP Recommended

Part number for what?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.