Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I have a HP zbook 15 g1 workstation which fails to boot / is stuck on automatic repair loop. I cannot for the life of me locate the problem. The original warranty is long gone as is the additional warranty the seller gave it. I’d like and try to repair it if at all possible though.

When I turn it on Windows tries to boot normally, fails, boots into “Windows preparing automatic repair”, it fails and tries again, fails, tries, fails etc. Sometimes after the first “preparing automatic repair” failure the screen will stay black and the keyboard light will blink on and off for a while, before the whole thing begins again.. Hard reboot doesn’t help. I cannot access the Advanced Startup options or Command Prompt to try and troubleshoot this because the boot fails before those would be accessible (at the preparing automatic repair stage).

I can access the BIOS but pretty much nothing else. BIOS diagnostics say that both the memory and the hard drive are working properly.

I have tried booting it from an ISO file on an USB stick, but the same thing happens. It will not boot.

I bought it used, and the original win8 pro (64) had been updated to win 10. Is it a hardware problem? Or software? How best to troubleshoot it?

EDIT: Forgot to add that before this I had been running some pretty big photogrammetry projects etc. on the computer which  might have led to hardware failures. There's 16 GB RAM, on the slots under the keyboard i presume as the additional two slots at the back are empty.The hard drive is Samsung SSD 860 EVO (500gb). Memory problem? Graphics card problem? How do I find it out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TT

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.