Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The latest NVIDA Quadro graphics card update pushed out by HP for my P4200 (NVIDIA driver version 411) causes the once silent GPU fan to ramp up at idle. The constant whirring is annoying. If any HP engineers read this forum, a fix to lower the idle fan speed would be nice, as per the original driver (version 399). Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The FAN speed tables are managed in the BIOS and are designed to account for heat sensors around the motherboard... before you go any further, i would make sure you get the BIOS updated... Use HP Image Assistant to help update BIOS and other drivers that might be needed

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Sincere thanks for the input, Soccer_dan. The BIOS and firmware are up to date. If I roll back the Quadro driver to 399 the fan remains quiet when the GPU is idling: it normally starts to ramp up when the GPU crosses 44 degrees celsius or so. Anyway, it isn't a dealbreaker but it's just slightly different behaviour that is a bit disconcerting after getting used to silence. 

I updated to the newest BIOS back in early March and the fan response didn't seem to change afterwards. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.