Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I’m facing an intermittent 100% disk active time with 0 kB/s read or write speed with my ProBook 450 G3 running on Win 10.

During that time the notebook is not responding. This effect always lasts for exactly  60 s (visible in the task manager) and after that the hard disk is responding again. It seems like some sort of timeout is happening after 60 s before it returns to normal behaviour. Sometimes the 100% active time occurs every few minutes and sometimes I can work for hours without interruption. So far, I was not able to trigger that effect.

A Google search on «100% active time » returns a lot of suggestions like disabling superfetch, windows search and the intelligent background transfer service. None of it solved the problem. The drivers of the hard disk (Toshiba) and the SATA controller (Intel) are up to date. I also have already reinstalled Win 10 which did not help either.

I have another issue with that ProBook. I do not think this is related to this problem. However, you never know…: 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Intermittent-loss-of-wifi-connection/m-p/5582927#M13...

I'm running out of ideas. Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

well, in the meantime I have found a solution...I have bought a new HDD which is supported in Win 10. It is a bit annoying as HP is selling the notebook with Win 10 and it does not work as it should. But anyhow: problem solved.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I did not mention the versions of the drivers so far:

The SATA AHCI Controller is on version 14.6.1.1030

The hard disk (Toshiba MQ01ABD100) is running on version 10.0.10586.0. This driver is dated from 2006! However it seems that neither SDM or myself can find an up-to-date driver.

Any idea how to proceed with such an outdated HDD driver? Thanks!

HP Recommended

well, in the meantime I have found a solution...I have bought a new HDD which is supported in Win 10. It is a bit annoying as HP is selling the notebook with Win 10 and it does not work as it should. But anyhow: problem solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.