Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 845 G9
Linux

After installing the latest U82 BIOS update the POST (power-on self-test) during booting takes a very long time (approximately 30 seconds). Further, when trying to downgrade the BIOS using USB media, the laptop just resets itself without entering the BIOS update menu.

Has anyone encountered that problem and have any suggestions for fixes?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Nick310 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/screenshot/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU

( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

Hi Ub6424,

please find the requested info below:

OS Name: Arch Linux

Version: 6.0.2.arch1-1

System Model: 

System SKU: 6F6H7EA#ABD

( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U

BIOS Version/Date: 01.02.01 Rev.A

Please know, that the problem occurs independent of the installed OS. The problem with the long POST occurs before any OS starts to boot.

Thanks and regards,

Nick

HP Recommended

Hello @Nick310 

You are using the latest BIOS version.

(1) Your post boot delay could be ME related or BIOS misconfiguration (rather rare) ...

(2) Do you use a docking station ?

(3) Do you have valid HP warranty ?

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi @Ub6424,

(1) the issue appeared after the latest BIOS update without any changes to the BIOS configuration compared to the previous BIOS version

(2) No, I am not using a docking station

(3) Yes, I do have a valid HP warranty

Thanks and regards,

Nick

HP Recommended

Hello @Nick310 

Thank you for your reply.

Recommendation and solution

(1) There is no chance to rollback BIOS

(2) Power off computer ( No Sleep / No Hibernate )

(3Disconnect charger

(4Press and hold <power> button for 30 seconds

(5Connect charger

(6) Power on

(7) If you still have long POST boot -> Contact HP Support:

-> BIOS post boot problem should be fixed ( BIOS or ME Update required ! )

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hello @Ub6424,

thanks for the reply. Sadly the offered solution did not work. Contacting the HP support resulted in the offer to send an onsite technician to replace the motherboard. I find this solution unacceptable, as both the waste of hardware is unwarranted and the laptop is still working. Replacing a motherboard for a few hundred Euros, due to a buggy BIOS seems like a waste, considering the amount of complaints from HP customers with the same laptop.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and many thanks for your support.

Nick

HP Recommended

Hello @Nick310 

(1) Is there any information from HP when a new BIOS/ME update will be available?

(2) Please send pictures of < ALL > BIOS settings

( if serial number, device id, UUID, System Board CT Number is displayed, please blur )

HP Recommended

Hi @Ub6424,

(1) No, I do not know when a new version of the BIOS will be released. This security bulletin[¹] only mentions that an update is pending.

[¹] https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-845-14-inch-g9-notebook-pc/2100825625/document/ish...

(2) Currently, I am unable and unwillingly to take and send pictures of the BIOS settings. Unless, there is a known issue with any settings, they are virtually unchanged to the factory settings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.