Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp zbook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Another thread regarding "M.2 SSD drive not recognized in Zbook 15 G5" was solved as a secondary drive. I have been using a Zook studio 15 G3 with Samsung evo 970 1tb drive installed for a long time. I found a used Zook 15 g5 for sale without hard drive for the right price so I purchased thinking I would just insert my m.2 ssd and I would upgrade easily.

I ran into a problem with the newer laptop accepting the 970 drive. Bios is recognizing the drive, but it will not boot. The bios options on all HP products make no sense to me as they place the settings all over the place in the lacking menu layout.

This is 2 generation newer laptop and one would think it would be able to boot from the same drive the older one would boot from. I have tried all combination of settings with no success in booting from my samsung nvme drive. I installed another (hp brand) drive with windows on it along side the samsung 970 and windows doesn't see the drive either.

Anyone have a solution to get the Zook 15 g5 to boot from a 970?

Recap:

old laptop: Zook studio 15 g3 with Xeon processor - Samsung 970 nvme m.2 1tb drive with windows 10 (working)

newer laptop: Zook 15 g5 with I7 processor - used good condition without any drive.

goal: place Samsung 970 drive into newer laptop and use it as primary boot drive.

Findings:

Bios in newer laptop recognizes 970 drive but will not boot from it.

updated bios failed to work.

changing settings in bios failed to work.

running windows on another drive windows did not recognize the 970.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was able to get the drive working in the newer zbook g5 laptop. All that was needed was to enable legacy boot mode in bios. I referred to the 'try every option in bios settings' method of getting stuff to work.

recap: took samsung evo 970 1tb m.2 nvme drive from older Zbook studio 15 G3 and installed it into a newer Zbook 15 G5 and had problems with the drive booting. Changed bios to legacy mode and the drive booted. I kept all my stuff apps, settings, everything and moved to a newer faster more better computer! 

Afterwards I uninstalled old drivers that gave me fits and rebooted to a newer machine!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@red_bobber 

This won't work, you can't simply put boot drive from old machine from a different series to new machine  from other series. This MAY work for machine on same series.

You have to build new machine from scratch

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

BH, What technically would prevent the swap in this situation? I have been swapping system drives between computers for years and never ran into a problem booting to windows using a drive from another machine. I have had to update device driver etc. after initial boot up to Windows but it booted every time. 

This time seems to be a problem recognizing the drive (as a bootable device in my case) from the BIOS. Others have had the same problem as I mentioned. They were able to use the 970 ssd as a second drive using various methods. 

by technically i mean is there a certain driver loaded onto the ssd that is preventing the 970 to be recognized or is it a partition issue etc.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice!

HP Recommended

I was able to get the drive working in the newer zbook g5 laptop. All that was needed was to enable legacy boot mode in bios. I referred to the 'try every option in bios settings' method of getting stuff to work.

recap: took samsung evo 970 1tb m.2 nvme drive from older Zbook studio 15 G3 and installed it into a newer Zbook 15 G5 and had problems with the drive booting. Changed bios to legacy mode and the drive booted. I kept all my stuff apps, settings, everything and moved to a newer faster more better computer! 

Afterwards I uninstalled old drivers that gave me fits and rebooted to a newer machine!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.