Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When the lid closes on my laptop, it's held in place by internal magnets.
As I'm now working from a home office, I've just purchased a new laptop stand. However, being metal, the magnets in the laptop are attracted to it. Now, whilst this is, on the one hand, quite good - less likelihood of laptop moving on the stand, I wondered whether it's likely to cause any issues given that the body of the laptop is also metal & therefore whether the magnetism from the (presumably internally shielded) magnets could then spread to other parts of the laptop with potentially disastrous results.
Anyone any thoughts/experience of this (good or bad) or do I just go for the simple option of putting some wood in between stand & laptop to reduce impact of magnets? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Fozman1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Using wood is a good option, or a cooling pad as the magnet may cause issues with other components.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fozman1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Using wood is a good option, or a cooling pad as the magnet may cause issues with other components.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Betty0610,

Thanks for that.

At the moment, I'm trying a 3mm sheet of plastic card which seems to have done the trick and looks neater (as it's black to match the stand) than wood - it's also slightly wider than the stand (and thinner than the wood that I have), so serves as a place to store mouse & glasses case off my desk!

I guess the key thing is to have something that's non-magnetic as a buffer between the laptop & stand

But thanks for your confirmatory advice; appreciated

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.