Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probbok 450 G3 i7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I purchased M.2 SSD 256Gb part# 827583-001 ( the same model in the manual ) for my Probook 450 G3 i7 with 1Tb hard drive with OS windows 10 64

I installed the new SSD  successfully and recognized by the PC 

Now I want to migrate the OS from the 1 Tb HDD to the new M.2 SSD 256 Gb to be able to boot from the M.2 SSD 

I tried several programs  without success 

1. EaseUS Todo ( I faced a size problem from 1Tb to 256 Gb ) 

2. Paragon  V5 ( Stucked on 0% progress without any progress )

How can I migrate my OS windows 10 64  from the 1 Tb HDD to the M.2 SSD 256 Gb

many thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have Windows 10, all your apps and all your data in 35 gigs? OK

I suggest you do a backup with system image to an external disk...it can be a 64 gig thumb drive if the footprint is that small. 

Make a Windows 10 install disk from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site. When you launch Windows 10 installation with it go to repair and choose restore from system image. Use that system image. 

Only have the SSD in the computer when you are installing Windows 10 from the system image. Remove the hard drive. Only put it back in once you have the SSD set as the system disk and it is booting from it and running the way you want. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

How much space is being used on the 1 TB hard drive? You can't pack 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound sack. 

HP Recommended

I understand what you say but the only space occupied on the 1 Tb is only 35 Gb 

HP Recommended

You have Windows 10, all your apps and all your data in 35 gigs? OK

I suggest you do a backup with system image to an external disk...it can be a 64 gig thumb drive if the footprint is that small. 

Make a Windows 10 install disk from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site. When you launch Windows 10 installation with it go to repair and choose restore from system image. Use that system image. 

Only have the SSD in the computer when you are installing Windows 10 from the system image. Remove the hard drive. Only put it back in once you have the SSD set as the system disk and it is booting from it and running the way you want. 

HP Recommended

yes it is fresh installation of windows 10 that's why it occupy a round 35Gb

many thanks for your help 

HP Recommended

Will this work with any HP motherboard that has a SATA HDD and M.2 connector (nothing connected now, hdd is 500gb).

Manual seems to imply that the M.2 can take either SATA or PCIe, NVMe drive. 

it is a brand new HP-14 -cm0010nr.  E2-9000e (1.5 GHz, turbo up to 2.0 GHz), 1866 MHz/1-MB L2 cache, dual core.

HP Recommended

That is a $250 laptop with an AMD e2 processor. If you look at page 2 of the Manual you have an eMMC configuration which means you do not have a SATA slot you have the storage disk soldered to the motherboard and there is no M.2 slot either. 

I have not seen your model but this applies to other HP laptops at the low end with eMMC storage. They have to cut significant corners making these models to sell them at that price. Before investing any money in upgrade parts you should open it up as shown in the Service Manual:

Manual

The Manual does mention an eMMC cable and bracket which are not shown. It is possible you could get the bracket and cable for a regular 2.5 inch SSD or HDD and upgrade but I will bet your laptop has no M.2 connector and you just find the soldering traces right above the battery and to the right of the memory as shown in p. 32 of the Manual where you see the M.2 slot. I hope I am wrong. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.  Some confusion on this.  I think I'm going to have to see it when it arrives to see whats in it.  The listings on Amazon and Best buy state 500gb hdd, no emmc.  If i could add eMMC memory that would be a plus.  I found out from Best buy i can switch out the Ram for 8gb, which may help, but I may have miscalculated on this model.  It is listed with AMD Radion R2 graphics coprocessor, so i didnt think the configuration you pointed out on page 2 of manual applied, but it info is vague.  I suppose if i rip it open it may be difficult to return.  I will plan Ram upgrade, and keep watching reviews, of which there are none at this time.  For daughter, whose needs are not intensive at this time, so it may be adequate.   Thanks again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.